Legendary British film studio Hammer has teamed up with Random House to publish new horror stories beginning with Helen Dunmore’s The Greatcoat, which is scheduled to be released in a digital edition in early February.
Description: A terrifyingly atmospheric ghost story by the Orange-prize-winning Helen Dunmore.
In the summer of 1954, newly wed Isabel Carey arrives in a Yorkshire town with her husband Philip. As a GP he spends much of his time working, while Isabel tries hard to adjust to the realities of married life. Life is not easy: she feels out-of-place and constantly judged by the people around her, so she spends much of her time alone.
One cold winter night, Isabel finds an old RAF greatcoat in the back of a cupboard that she uses to help keep warm. Once wrapped in the coat she is beset by dreams. And not long afterwards, while her husband is out, she is startled to hear a knock at her window, and to meet for the first time the intense gaze of a young Air Force pilot, handsome, blond and blue-eyed, staring in at her from outside.
His name is Alec, and his powerfully haunting presence both disturbs and excites Isabel. Her initial alarm soon fades, and they begin a delicious affair. But nothing could have prepared her for the truth about Alec’s life, nor the impact it will have on her own marriage.
Other titles scheduled to follow include work by Jeanette Winterson, Melvin Burgess and Tim Lebbon.
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013