Subterranean Press is now accepting pre-orders for Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2, which is scheduled for an April 2011 release. The anthology is made up almost exclusively of novelettes rather than short stories. The limited edition will be feature full color art not in the trade edition and be accompanied by a chapbook of two original short stories (over 15,000 words) by SubPress favorite Joe R. Lansdale. The tales: “The Case of the Lighthouse Shambler” and “The Case of the Stalking Shadow” mark the beginning of a new series featuring supernatural sleuth Dana Roberts.
The anthology leads off with Joe Hill’s dazzling “Wolverton Station,” in which a predatory businessman travels to England, and to a primal confrontation he could never have imagined. Elsewhere, a number of contributors revisit familiar, well-established themes and settings. Glen Cook’s “Smelling Danger” gives readers a brand new chapter in the long-running annals of The Black Company. “The Passion of Mother Vajpai” is a story of exotic – and erotic – initiation set against the backdrop of Jay Lake’s novel, Green. Kelley Armstrong reenters the Otherworld with “Chivalrous,” the account of a devious – and long-delayed – act of revenge.
And there’s more, including a hallucinatory portrait of guilt, angst, and drug-fueled violence by Caitlin R. Kiernan, and an affecting reflection on love, death, and acceptance by Steven R. Boyett. These stories, together with work by the likes of K. J. Parker and Norman Partridge, offer provocative, sometimes visceral entertainment.
Table of Contents
- Joe Hill – Wolverton Station
- Kelley Armstrong – Chivalrous
- Steven R. Boyett – Not Last Night but the Night Before
- Glen Cook – Smelling Danger: A Story of The Black Company
- Caitlin R. Kiernan – Hydraguros
- Jay Lake and Shannon Page – The Passion of Mother Vajpai
- K. J. Parker – A Room with a View
- Norman Partridge – Vampire Lake
- David Prill — A Pulp Called Joe
- William Browning Spencer — That Dappled Thing
- Bruce Sterling — The Partheneon Scalpel
To pre-order: Dark Fantasy 2