International Thriller Writers applauds Silver Bullet recipient Karin Slaughter in her efforts to save the libraries, along with David Hosp who organized the Boston “Save the Libraries” event.
Please join Karin and David, along with Lee Child, Tess Gerritsen, and Charlaine Harris on Wednesday, April 25th at the Boston Public Library (Central Library, Copley Square) for “a bloody good time in Boston,” Karin promises. “If you can’t make it, look for the online auction where galleys, signed books, and a trip to New York City to meet with a top agent and Random House editor will be on offer. All proceeds go to the Boston Public Library!”
There will be beer, wine and hors d’oeuvres, as well as a silent auction full of exciting prizes (including a two-hour Time Ritual at the Spa at Mandarin Oriental, a suite stay and dinner at The Lenox Hotel, 2 tickets to the BPL Foundation Annual Fall Gala, and more). You’re invited to come and meet these award-winning authors and hear the story behind the stories.
Tickets for the April 25 benefit for the Boston Public Library can be purchased HERE.
Online Auction Details
Bid on auction items online through the SavetheLibraries.com eBay portal starting at noon on Friday April 20th at noon, EST. The online auction ends at noon EST on Wednesday, April 25th.
Items of particular interest include:
- A manuscript evaluation* by Darley Anderson (agent to Lee Child, Tana French, John Connolly), Victoria Sanders (agent to Karin Slaughter) or Aaron Priest and Lisa Vance at the Aaron M. Priest Agency (agents to Harlan Coben, Greg Isles, David Baldacci) (*does not guarantee representation)
- A trip to New York City, where you’ll stay in a fine hotel and have lunch with Victoria Sanders and Jennifer Hershey (Karin Slaughter’s editor at Random House) (travel must originate in the continental US)
- A chance to have Angela Cheng Caplan* (Red, Tatum O’Neal, Willl Rokos) look at your movie script or TV pilot (*does not guarantee representation)
- Are you a reader and not a writer? Win a “hot” galley (Advance Reader Copy) a month from Random House or Harper Collins sent to your house every month for a full year!
You can see the full list of auction items HERE.
With your help, Save the Libraries is on track to raise a quarter of a million dollars by the end of the year, with all moneys going directly to support libraries here and abroad.
The Silver Bullet Award was created by the International Thriller Writers in conjunction with Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) to recognize outstanding and meritorious achievement in the pursuit of literacy and the love of reading. Past recipients include authors Sandra Brown, R.L. Stine, David Baldacci, and Linda Fairstein, publisher Tom Doherty, actor Tony Plana (Ugly Betty), the Nestle Company, Capital One, and Macy’s.
The idea for the Save The Libraries initiative came during a meeting of the American Library Association, when Karin Slaughter, long a library advocate, spoke to librarians from around the country and realized very quickly that public libraries were in desperate need of help.
“The funding of American libraries should be a matter of national security,” Karin writes. “Keeping libraries open, giving access to all children to all books is vital to our nation’s sovereignty. For nearly 85 percent of kids living in rural areas, the only place where they have access to technology or books outside the schoolroom is in a public library. For many urban kids, the only safe haven they have to study or do homework is the public library.”
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013