You can’t keep Pittsburgh zombies down. After temporarily ceding the world record for largest zombie walk to Nottingham, England, the record has been reclaimed by the city that established the initial record in 2006.
The zombie walk held at the Monroeville Mall outside Pittsburgh, PA on October 26, 2008 has been certified by Guinness World Records as the World’s Largest Zombie Walk with 1,341 participants. The walk was organized by The It’s Alive Show, a weekly horror host program originating from Pittsburgh, as part of its World Zombie Day, where more than 50 cities worldwide participated in zombie walks and food drives on the same day, cumulatively raising more than two tons of food donations to benefit their local hunger charities.
World Zombie Day was also honored with a Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Award for Best Fan Event of 2008. The Rondos are awarded for excellence in the horror genre by the Classic Horror Film Board based solely on fan nominations and voting.
Pittsburgh established the inaugural Guinness World Record for largest zombie walk in 2006, when 892 people dressed as zombies invaded the Monroeville Mall, site of the iconic zombie film “Dawn of the Dead”. Since then, the popularity of zombie walks has exploded, many of which feature a charity event.
This year’s World Zombie Day will take place on Sunday, October 11 with the hub once again at the Monroeville Mall. Cities around the world are lining up to participate in this charity event to raise awareness of global hunger. Participants in the zombie walks are asked to bring a non-perishable food item as a donation.
- Pittsburgh Zombies Reclaim World Record - July 11, 2009
- Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - July 10, 2009
- Damnation Books Announces Initial Titles - July 10, 2009
- The House of Lost Souls – Book Review - July 9, 2009
- Futile Flame Available - July 9, 2009
- Pocket Books Partners With Permuted Press - July 8, 2009
- Robert Dunbar – Featured Author - July 8, 2009
- Stages of Undress: The 3rd Collection – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- Apple of My Eye – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- The World More Full of Weeping Available For Pre-Order - July 7, 2009