Let’s Talk About Banned Books: Acquiring, Displaying, and Dealing with Challenges
Thursday, September 11, 2014
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM ET / 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM PT
Some of the most popular and widely respected children’s and YA books have been challenged in schools and libraries across the country. Banned Books Week is celebrated the last full week in September and strives to make the public aware of books that have been banned or challenged in schools and public libraries, as well as in bookstores and other venues. What do you do to prepare for those challenges and keep important books in the hands of readers?
Join SLJ for an important discussion with SLJ columnist Pat Scales, along with authors M.E. Kerr and Todd Parr as they provide practical advice when dealing with book challenges and hear the authors’ perspective on their books that have been banned over the years. You’ll also hear from Youth Services librarian Heather Acerro on ways that librarians can celebrate, display, and use these books.
Pat Scales – Columnist, School Library Journal
M.E. Kerr – Author
Todd Parr – Author
Heather Accero – Head of Youth Services at Rochester Public Library
Kiera Parrott – Book Review Editor, School Library Journal
Can’t make it September 11th? No problem!
Register now and you will get an email reminder from School Library Journal post-live event when the webcast is archived and available for on-demand viewing at your convenience!
- Richard Christian Matheson Interview with Rick Hipson - March 27, 2017
- JournalStone’s Amazon only e-book holiday sale! - December 14, 2014
- Mary SanGiovanni’s Latest Limited Edition Chapbook ‘No Songs for the Stars’ Has Been Released! - October 18, 2014
- Jamais Vu Issue 3 – Magazine Review - October 18, 2014
- Nevermore Publicity is set to re-launch on Friday 10/10/14! - October 18, 2014
- Apex Publications Is Set To Give Us ‘War Stories’ - October 17, 2014
- Dark Horse Is Set To Give Us Richard Corben’s ‘Rat God’ - October 17, 2014
- Disordered Minds – Book Review - October 17, 2014
- Where All Light is Left to Die: A Collection of Darkness – Book Review - October 16, 2014
- We Want Your Horror Face! - October 16, 2014