KAIJU EPIC! is the newest title from publisher Big Dog Ink, and a pet project for lead writer, Tom Hutchison. Kaiju Epic! is grounded in the campy, fun-loving genre of the giant monster, such as Godzilla or Gamera, but this particular story also adds a bit of “real” kaiju to the mix, as well as legends of the end of days from around the world. Readers will find monsters they may have heard of, like the Kraken or even Quetzalcoatl, roaming the pages of Kaiju Epic!, but there will also be all-new monsters created just for this series.
Kaiju Epic! will be a five-volume series each with two separate stories. These stories will take place on opposite ends of the globe and give a real feeling of the end of the world, rather than the destruction of a specific city. Tom is joined by co-writer Kari Castor. Kari is known to BDI fans as one of the writers of the hit mini-series, Shahrazad.
Kaiju Epic! is no standard comic book, either! This is a huge 48-page monster-sized comic book!
Tom’s story takes place in both China and South America, specifically the Gulf of Mexico, where Bermeja Island has reappeared in the Gulf after being lost for decades. In China, a dragon-headed tower has been unearthed, and it carries with it a strange connection to Bermeja and the rock concert that is planned to take place there.
Kari’s story takes place in London, England and follows a group of friends who have a tendency to dabble in eco-politics and animal protection. But this group is forced to re-evaluate their stance when something from legends of old appears and begins to shake London to the ground!
The overarching story is based on the Hopi Indian’s stories of the cycles of man and the Purifier. These stories will blend with other cultures’ “end of days” myths and allow us to see mankind as a whole, struggling with the kaiju destruction of the planet. Kaiju Epic! will also mix genre tropes along the way by taking giant monsters, ancient gods, and rock & roll and tossing them into the story blender to create something that is unique, relatable, and fun.
The Kickstarter campaign will launch February 18th, during the AZ Eventure Con in Phoenix, Arizona. Exclusive covers will be available in limited editions, as well as digital editions and art prints.
Writers: Tom Hutchison
Artists: Renato Rei and CB Zane
Cover Artists: Renato Rei, CB Zane, Rob Duenas, Samantha Sawyer, and Matt Frank.
Colors: Ceci de la Cruz
Logo: Kel Nuttall
- The Toxic Avenger Musical Is Coming To London - April 27, 2017
- From Hell it Came (1957) – Blu-ray/DVD Release - April 27, 2017
- Can’t Get Enough Of ‘The Blair Witch Project’? A New Book Is Coming! - April 26, 2017
- Pre-Sales Now Launched for ‘Lost Girls: Phantasmagorical Cinema of Jean Rollin’ on Indiegogo! - April 26, 2017
- Dark Horse Ventures Into ‘The Dark North’ - April 25, 2017
- Steam Has Just Gotten ‘Remothered: Tormented Fathers’ - April 25, 2017
- The Latest Promo For ‘Twin Peaks’ Talks About “The Darkness of Future Past” - April 24, 2017
- The Eleventh Season Of ‘The X-Files’ Has Some Retro Teaser Art - April 24, 2017
- The ‘Flesh of the Void’ Trailer Is Strangely Creepy - April 23, 2017
- The Jigsaw Murders – Blu-ray/DVD Release on May 30th, 2017 - April 23, 2017