KAIJU EPIC! is the newest title from publisher Big Dog Ink, and a pet project for lead writer, Tom Hutchison. Kaiju Epic! is grounded in the campy, fun-loving genre of the giant monster, such as Godzilla or Gamera, but this particular story also adds a bit of “real” kaiju to the mix, as well as legends of the end of days from around the world. Readers will find monsters they may have heard of, like the Kraken or even Quetzalcoatl, roaming the pages of Kaiju Epic!, but there will also be all-new monsters created just for this series.
Kaiju Epic! will be a five-volume series each with two separate stories. These stories will take place on opposite ends of the globe and give a real feeling of the end of the world, rather than the destruction of a specific city. Tom is joined by co-writer Kari Castor. Kari is known to BDI fans as one of the writers of the hit mini-series, Shahrazad.
Kaiju Epic! is no standard comic book, either! This is a huge 48-page monster-sized comic book!
Tom’s story takes place in both China and South America, specifically the Gulf of Mexico, where Bermeja Island has reappeared in the Gulf after being lost for decades. In China, a dragon-headed tower has been unearthed, and it carries with it a strange connection to Bermeja and the rock concert that is planned to take place there.
Kari’s story takes place in London, England and follows a group of friends who have a tendency to dabble in eco-politics and animal protection. But this group is forced to re-evaluate their stance when something from legends of old appears and begins to shake London to the ground!
The overarching story is based on the Hopi Indian’s stories of the cycles of man and the Purifier. These stories will blend with other cultures’ “end of days” myths and allow us to see mankind as a whole, struggling with the kaiju destruction of the planet. Kaiju Epic! will also mix genre tropes along the way by taking giant monsters, ancient gods, and rock & roll and tossing them into the story blender to create something that is unique, relatable, and fun.
The Kickstarter campaign will launch February 18th, during the AZ Eventure Con in Phoenix, Arizona. Exclusive covers will be available in limited editions, as well as digital editions and art prints.
Writers: Tom Hutchison
Artists: Renato Rei and CB Zane
Cover Artists: Renato Rei, CB Zane, Rob Duenas, Samantha Sawyer, and Matt Frank.
Colors: Ceci de la Cruz
Logo: Kel Nuttall
- ‘Snatchers’ Brings Horror To Comedy On go90! - June 24, 2017
- NECA Brings Us A New Ash From ‘Ash vs Evil Dead!’ - June 24, 2017
- Elvira Joins Funko’s Rock Candy Line! - June 24, 2017
- Hulu Announces The Cast For The Second Season Of ‘Freakish’ - June 23, 2017
- Fans Of ‘Slither’ Will Want To Check Out This New Collector’s Edition! - June 23, 2017
- Two Brothers Shoot for Fame but Find Only Infamy in the Butcher Bros.’ ‘A Beginner’s Guide to Snuff’ - June 23, 2017
- This New ‘Preacher’ Clip Shows “The Search For God: Day One” - June 22, 2017
- ‘The Creep Behind The Camera’ Tells The Story Of How ‘The Creeping Terror’ Was Made! - June 22, 2017
- ‘Phenomena,’ Better Known As ‘Creepers,’ Is Due This September On Blu-Ray! - June 22, 2017
- “I Came For You” In The Latest ‘War For The Planet Of The Apes’ Clip! - June 21, 2017