The It’s Alive 2008 Zombie Fest, a weekend of zombie fun and monster madness in Pittsburgh on October 25 & 26 is a two-day zombie-themed convention at the Monroeville Mall, site of the Romero zombie classic Dawn of the Dead, featuring vendor exhibits, film screenings, author discussion panels, live bands, games and other fun activities for zombie fans. And in 2008, it’s free admission.
Also included in the weekend’s activities is the Zombie Masquerade Ball. Eat, drink, dance, and rub elbows with the upper crust undead. Prizes awarded for best overall costume and best zombie costume. The Ball also includes live entertainment and a silent auction (last year’s auction raised $1,000 for breast cancer research!). The Ball is a 21 and over event and there will be a separate admission fee.
On Sunday morning, zombies, young and old, will gather at the Mall, shambling and moaning for brains while bearing food donations for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank. Led by Professor Emcee Square, the horde of zombies will slowly make its way from one end of the mall to the other. In 2007, the total number of zombies who signed in was 1,028, establishing a new Guinness World Record, and more than half a ton of food was collected. The walk was honored with a Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Award for Best Fan Event of 2007. In 2008, the Monroeville Mall Zombie Walk will be the hub of World Zombie Day, with walks being held in 50 cities worldwide benefiting local food banks.
To learn more, visit: It’s Alive
- Pittsburgh Zombies Reclaim World Record - July 11, 2009
- Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - July 10, 2009
- Damnation Books Announces Initial Titles - July 10, 2009
- The House of Lost Souls – Book Review - July 9, 2009
- Futile Flame Available - July 9, 2009
- Pocket Books Partners With Permuted Press - July 8, 2009
- Robert Dunbar – Featured Author - July 8, 2009
- Stages of Undress: The 3rd Collection – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- Apple of My Eye – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- The World More Full of Weeping Available For Pre-Order - July 7, 2009