King Flex Films just wrapped up filming an independent horror film entitled The Eugenist.
The film touches on the century-old subject of eugenics, that was founded in the late 1800’s. Eugenics is a controversial pseudoscience that promotes selective breeding in humans in order to improve or recede a certain part of the population. The eugenics movement gained most of its popularity in the early part of the 20th century.
Some historians have theorized that many of the classic horror movies from the 1930’s were reflective of the ideologies and fears of the eugenics movement. Many movies from this era were based on the concept of the “mad scientist” – a person going to diabolical depths in order to improve or modify human beings.
Frankenstein, Island of Lost Souls, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, are a few examples of horror films that played on this theme. Even the creation of comic book heroes, such as Superman, are based on the eugenics concept of a genetically superior human specimen.
Here’s the trailer:
References about eugenics still pop up periodically in modern times. This past February, presidential candidate Rick Santorum accused President Obama of promoting eugenics with the Obamacare program. There was also a recent case of a number of families in North Carolina getting a financial settlement for being victimized by a forced sterilization eugenics program.
In the film The Eugenist, the plot revolves around a group of college students who stumble upon an abandoned school. Unbeknownst to them, the school was targeted for a eugenics population control experiment. The students decide to explore the school just for kicks, but once inside, they find out that the school is not so abandoned.
The Eugenist is directed by New York Times best selling author Tariq Nasheed.
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013