Given the rapidly changing publishing market, Datlow decided to turn to Kickstarter as an experiment to see if it could fund the project. The campaign will go toward the editing, layout, and production of the book, as well as offering professional rates to the authors. Datlow selected ChiZine Publications based on the quality of their books and distribution.
“This project is close to my heart,” says Datlow, “which is why I’ve decided to appeal to the public through Kickstarter. And while I have a stable of writers whose work I love, I want to give a chance to new talent that I may not be aware of. I want them to write the stories they’ve always wanted to and perhaps couldn’t because there was no venue for them.”
Unlike a lot of her anthologies, Fearful Symmetries will not have a theme. Datlow intends to solicit work from well-known horror writers, as well as those selected during an open reading period, something Datlow does not do often. If the campaign is a success, Fearful Symmetries will be released as a trade paperback and e-book, and is expected to be 125,000 words long.
The Kickstarter campaign can be found at: Fearful Symmetries
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013