Due to the overwhelming flood of submissions Cemetery Dance has received, they’ll be closing Cemetery Dance magazine to submissions by the end of this month, January 2013. If you’ve already submitted something, you’ll hear back in the next two to three months if you haven’t already. Thanks to everyone who sent so many well-written stories.
Here are the guidelines one last time:
Guidelines: We’re looking for well written horror, dark mystery, and suspense short stories up to 5,000 words. Originals, no reprints. We want tales that are powerful and emotional — creepy, chilling, disturbing, and moody. Suspense/mystery/crime tales with a horror element are always welcome. Both supernatural and psychological stories are fine.
Please note that in the past we have typically received 500+ monthly submissions for the very limited number of open slots in the magazine, so only the best stories will stand out. Please send your very best work!
Most common reasons for rejection: lack of power, lack of originality, slow pacing, poor writing, boring themes, all gore and no heart. Read the magazine, see what type of fiction we are publishing—please don’t submit with a blind eye!
Multiple Submissions? Please only send one story at a time.
Payment: Professional rates, minimum of five cents per word, plus two contributor copies. Payable within 30 days of publication. Up to 5,000 words; maximum payment of $250.
Response Time: Up to four months.
Submission Window: Open until we fill our 2013 slots.
How to submit? Please use our online form at Submittable.com
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013