Directed by Lesley Manning and written by Stephen Volk, Ghostwatch, is a documentary style on-air of a house in Northolt, Greater London that’s experiencing bizarre poltergeist activity. The recording of Ghostwatch was presented as live television causing a panic for viewers similar to “The War of the Worlds” in the United States.
About GHOSTWATCH’s release on Shudder:
- Has never aired in the United States, nor is it been made available on home video in the U.S.
- Aired once on BBC1, on Halloween night in 1992. Presented as live television and not a horror mockumentary, it resulted in an estimated 30,000 calls to the BBC switchboard in a single hour. It has never re-aired on UK television, and was banned in the UK until released on DVD by the British Film Institute in 2002.
- Features actual BBC personalities playing themselves, adding to the confusion for an unsuspecting audience.
- A clear precursor to The Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, and the found-footage genre
- Has a cult following: An annual event, known as National Séance, occurs every year on Halloween night at 9:25 PM (the original broadcast time of Ghostwatch), where fans are encouraged to hit play on their own personal copies of Ghostwatch and live tweet the special.
- Full Details Are Out For The Paul Naschy Collection - May 21, 2017
- New ‘Fang’ Teaser Trailer - May 21, 2017
- Spanish Horror Icon Macarena Gomez Tells All About Gothic Chiller ‘The Black Gloves’ - May 21, 2017
- “It Takes a Monster to Defeat a Monster” in the Latest Trailer for ‘The Mummy’ - May 20, 2017
- Netflix is Giving Us a Prequel to ‘The Dark Crystal!!!’ - May 20, 2017
- ‘Fear Factor’ is Going to Have Snakes and More! - May 20, 2017
- This August You Can Take Home ‘Shin Godzilla!’ - May 19, 2017
- ‘OKJA’s’ First Full Trailer Is Out In The Wild! - May 19, 2017
- A Hellnotes Exclusive! From the Pages of “Hellboy” – ‘Lobster Johnson’ - May 19, 2017
- After This Trailer, You Aren’t Going To Want Dive ’47 Meters Down’ - May 18, 2017