Directed by Lesley Manning and written by Stephen Volk, Ghostwatch, is a documentary style on-air of a house in Northolt, Greater London that’s experiencing bizarre poltergeist activity. The recording of Ghostwatch was presented as live television causing a panic for viewers similar to “The War of the Worlds” in the United States.
About GHOSTWATCH’s release on Shudder:
- Has never aired in the United States, nor is it been made available on home video in the U.S.
- Aired once on BBC1, on Halloween night in 1992. Presented as live television and not a horror mockumentary, it resulted in an estimated 30,000 calls to the BBC switchboard in a single hour. It has never re-aired on UK television, and was banned in the UK until released on DVD by the British Film Institute in 2002.
- Features actual BBC personalities playing themselves, adding to the confusion for an unsuspecting audience.
- A clear precursor to The Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, and the found-footage genre
- Has a cult following: An annual event, known as National Séance, occurs every year on Halloween night at 9:25 PM (the original broadcast time of Ghostwatch), where fans are encouraged to hit play on their own personal copies of Ghostwatch and live tweet the special.
- Steam Has Just Gotten ‘Remothered: Tormented Fathers’ - April 25, 2017
- The Latest Promo For ‘Twin Peaks’ Talks About “The Darkness of Future Past” - April 24, 2017
- The Eleventh Season Of ‘The X-Files’ Has Some Retro Teaser Art - April 24, 2017
- The ‘Flesh of the Void’ Trailer Is Strangely Creepy - April 23, 2017
- The Jigsaw Murders – Blu-ray/DVD Release on May 30th, 2017 - April 23, 2017
- Stranger With My Face International Film Festival Releases Poster and Further Program Highlights! - April 23, 2017
- ‘Unearthed and Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary’ to Show on Home Entertainment Formats in Late 2017! - April 22, 2017
- Final Previews for the ‘Bates Motel’ Finale! - April 22, 2017
- The Belko Experiment Gets A June Release Date - April 22, 2017
- Evil Corrupts Burbank with Director J. Horton’s ‘5 Sins:’ Early Casting Details - April 21, 2017