Amazon today announced that it has greenlit original one-hour neo-Victorian fantasy Carnival Row to series. The eight-episode Amazon Original Series will be produced by Legendary Television and written and executive produced by showrunner Rene Echevarria (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Teen Wolf, Castle, Medium). Joining Echevarria are Paul McGuigan (Victor Frankenstein, Luke Cage, Sherlock), who is set to direct and executive produce, and Travis Beacham (Pacific Rim, Clash of the Titans), who will serve as executive producer and wrote the original script, A Killing on Carnival Row, which appeared on the very first installment of the Hollywood Blacklist in 2005.
Carnival Row is a fantasy-noir set in a neo-Victorian city. Mythical creatures fleeing their war-torn homeland have gathered in the city, and tensions are simmering between citizens and the growing immigrant population. We follow the investigation of a string of unsolved murders which are eating away at whatever uneasy peace still exists.
“There has never been a series like Carnival Row before,” said Joe Lewis, Head of Comedy, Drama and VR, Amazon Studios. “The scope of the storytelling combined with the uniqueness of the world, themes, and aesthetics haven’t been on TV before. A simple police investigation will lead us down a remarkable journey in a world where humans and creatures co-exist. We’re so excited about what Rene, Travis, and Paul are creating; and we can’t wait to bring it to customers.”
“Carnival Row” is inspiringly ambitious,” said Lauren Whitney, President of Scripted Television at Legendary, “and timely in a way that we never could have anticipated. We are thrilled to have excellent partners at Amazon and the infinitely talented trio of Echevarria, McGuigan, and Beacham as the driving force behind this show.
The series is scheduled to begin filming in the fall of 2018 for a 2019 release.
Rene Echevarria was most recently an executive producer on Teen Wolf and prior to that was an executive producer on Terra Nova. Additional executive producing credits include Medium and Dark Angel. He also co-created the critically-acclaimed USA series The 4400. Echevarria comes out of the Star Trek camp, having worked on Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Next Generation.
Carnival Row will be available using the Amazon Prime Video app for TVs, connected devices including Fire TV and mobile devices, or online at Amazon.com/originals. For a list of all Amazon Video compatible devices, click here. The series will be a global release for members to watch via the Prime Video app or online at PrimeVideo.com in more than 200 countries and territories.
- ‘Snatchers’ Brings Horror To Comedy On go90! - June 24, 2017
- NECA Brings Us A New Ash From ‘Ash vs Evil Dead!’ - June 24, 2017
- Elvira Joins Funko’s Rock Candy Line! - June 24, 2017
- Hulu Announces The Cast For The Second Season Of ‘Freakish’ - June 23, 2017
- Fans Of ‘Slither’ Will Want To Check Out This New Collector’s Edition! - June 23, 2017
- Two Brothers Shoot for Fame but Find Only Infamy in the Butcher Bros.’ ‘A Beginner’s Guide to Snuff’ - June 23, 2017
- This New ‘Preacher’ Clip Shows “The Search For God: Day One” - June 22, 2017
- ‘The Creep Behind The Camera’ Tells The Story Of How ‘The Creeping Terror’ Was Made! - June 22, 2017
- ‘Phenomena,’ Better Known As ‘Creepers,’ Is Due This September On Blu-Ray! - June 22, 2017
- “I Came For You” In The Latest ‘War For The Planet Of The Apes’ Clip! - June 21, 2017