Solaris Acquires Rights for New Tony Ballantyne Novelposted by
Solaris is pleased to announce that it has acquired the rights for a new novel from Tony Ballantyne called Dream London.
Slated for released in October 2013, this reality-bending science-fiction novel takes a magical look at Britain’s capital city, a city that we would recognise but one which changes every single day.
The effect this has on the teeming metropolis, and those who live there, is not immediately apparent – but Captain Jim Wedderburn is beginning to understand that he’s not the man he thought he was…
Featuring cover art and book-design by Joey Hi-FI (Zoo City, Mockingbird), it is the latest acquisition by Solaris, which capped a very successful 2012 with a World Fantasy Awards ‘best novel’ win for Lavie Tidhar’s Osama.
Editor-in-chief Jonathan Oliver said: “Tony’s novel had me from the first page. His strange, but familiar, world of Dream London is brillianty realised. Tony’s great strength lies in his characterisation. His grotesques are never simply grotesque and his heroes aren’t always heroic. This is a wonderful new slice of the Weird, and I’m delighted to be bringing it the already fantastic line-up for Solaris in 2013.”
Dream London: Captain Jim Wedderburn has looks, style and courage by the bucketful. He’s adored by women, respected by men and feared by his enemies. He’s the man to find out who has twisted London into this strange new world, and he knows it.
But in Dream London the city changes a little every night and the people change a little every day. The towers are growing taller, the parks have hidden themselves away and the streets form themselves into strange new patterns. There are people sailing in from new lands down the river, new criminals emerging in the East End and a path spiralling down to another world.
Everyone is changing, no one is who they seem to be.
About the Author
Tony Ballantyne is the author of Twisted Metal, Blood and Iron and the Recursion series. He has also written many short stories. Tony grew up in County Durham in the North East of England. He studied Maths at Manchester University before moving to London where he taught Maths and IT. His first SF sale was The Sixth VNM which appeared in Interzone 138. Since then he has had short stories appear in magazines and anthologies worldwide. He has also written romantic fiction and satirical pieces for various magazines such as Private Eye. Recursion, his first novel, was published by Tor UK in 2004. He has been nominated for the BSFA and Philip K Dick awards. He now lives in Oldham with his wife and two children. His hobbies are playing the piano, accordion and cornet. He also enjoys walking and cycling.
- Horror in a Hundred – The Tapestry by Walt Hicks - February 23, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Cold Soak by Thomas Kleaton - February 22, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Lonely at the Bottom by Craig Peterson - February 21, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Welcome to the Full Moon Salon! by Terrie Leigh Relf - February 20, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Last Night on Drury Lane by David Wing - February 17, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Him by David Wing - February 16, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Twilight by Jack Koebnig - February 15, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – After Hours at the Blood Bank by Terrie Leigh Relf - February 14, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Mr Brown by Jack Koebnig - February 13, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – A Prison Inside Us by Sheldon Woodbury - February 12, 2015