Midnight Echo 8 Releasedposted by
Edited by Marty Young, Amanda J. Spedding and Mark Farrugia, the issue features new fiction from modern horror greats Jack Ketchum and Lucky McKee, Joe R. Lansdale and art by renowned illustrator Glenn Chadbourne.
Australian authors are also well-represented in the issue, with new fiction by Felicity Dowker, Jason Fischer and Jason Nahrung providing just a sample of some of the dark talent inside.
Some of the special features include interviews with Jack Ketchum and Lee Battersby and a profile piece on artist Glenn Chadbourne, who also provides some new artwork for the issue.
In putting together the issue, the editors said they wanted to publish a diverse range of new tales alongside some of the best authors in the horror genre.
“We’ve managed to publish hard-edged-horror that pushes the boundaries and blurs the distinction between right and wrong. These are stories that I hope will make readers feel uncomfortable but plant a seed of irresistibility that will make Midnight Echo Issue 8 hard to put down,” Mark said.
Amanda said readers would find the artwork and fiction within issue 8 irresistible.
“Midnight Echo Issue 8 is filled with dark imaginings that I hope leave readers with a feeling of unease, or unsettled in ways that make them wonder what horror lies in wait with each turn of the page,” she said.
“With beautifully gruesome artwork inside and out, this edition holds a feast of illustrations I’m sure will linger long after you turn out the lights.”
The release of issue 8 comes hot on the heels of the recent announcement of an exclusive marketing and distribution agreement between the AHWA and JournalStone Publishing, owner and publisher of Dark Discoveries magazine.
The agreement will allow readers and fans of both Midnight Echo magazine and Dark Discoveries magazine to subscribe to both magazines and read some of the best horror fiction by authors from around the globe.
“The new agreement means readers in the United States can now purchase copies of Midnight Echo magazine without having to cop the huge international postage costs they are usually slugged with, while Australian readers can likewise buy the popular Dark Discoveries magazine at the same price as readers in the States,” Executive Editor Marty Young said.
A subscription drive is has also been announced with some incredible prizes up for grabs:
Just take out a 1- or 2-year print subscription to Midnight Echo magazine between now and December 15 and you will go into the draw to win the following:
- The Woman signed by Jack Ketchum and Lucky McKee
- Edge of Dark Water signed by Joe R Lansdale
- Original ME8 artwork by Glenn Chadbourne (signed)
- A copy of “Tolerance” plus 3 signed lithographs, by ME8 cover artist Chris Mars
- 1-year print subscription to Cemetery Dance magazine
- Original artwork from Allure of the Ancients, signed by Mark Farrugia and Greg Chapman
- 1-year print subscription bundle to Midnight Echo and Dark Discoveries magazines
The winners will be announced on December 16.
Midnight Echo Issue 8 is now available to buy in print and electronic formats at Midnight Echo. Copies of previous issues are also available from the site.
Submissions for Issue 9 of Midnight Echo, a mythic-themed issue, edited by Geoff Brown, are now open. Visit for more information.
The Australian Horror Writers Association (AHWA) is the peak professional body for Australian authors of dark fiction (horror, dark fantasy, and paranormal fiction) and has 300 members. The AHWA was founded in 2003, and since its incorporation in 2005, the Association has implemented an annual short story competition, a mentorship program, online writers forums, news and article archives, the fiction magazine Midnight Echo, and The Australian Shadows Award.
- The Nest – Blu-ray Review - February 14, 2013
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013