Subterranean Press is starting to promote Confessions of a Five-Chambered Heart, the follow-up to Caitlín R. Kiernan’s World-Fantasy Award nominated The Ammonite Violin & Others, a collection that drew comparisons to the writings of such luminaries of the macabre and surreal as Angela Carter, Thomas Ligotti, Shirley Jackson, and Harlan Ellison.
Here, again, in her eighth collection, we visit the borderlands where the weird, horrific, mythic, and erotic intersect. Once again, Kiernan sets her masterful, intoxicating prose to the task of retelling fairy tales, spinning sensual post-Lovecraftian yarns, and blurring the lines between pain and pleasure. Here is a celebration of the bizarre and beautiful, and a marriage of unlikely worlds. From a reverence of the dead to the sacrifices the living make to unspeakable gods, from clockwork dreams to tales of merciless revenge, Kiernan blurs the artificial lines of genre, and shows us a world where there is no division between the light and dark.
- Introduction: Sexing the Weird
- The Wolf Who Cried Girl
- The Bed of Appetite
- The Collector of Bones
- Untitled Grotesque
- Regarding Attrition and Severance
- Rappaccini’s Dragon (Murder Ballad No. 5)
- Unter den Augen des Mondes
- The Melusine (1898)
- I Am the Abyss and I Am the Light
- Dancing With the Eight of Swords
- Murder Ballad No. 6
- Lullaby of Partition and Reunion
- Derma Sutra (1891)
- The Thousand-and-Third Tale of Scheherazade
- The Belated Burial
- The Bone’s Prayer
- A Canvas for Incoherent Arts
- The Peril of Liberated Objects, or the Voyeur’s Seduction
- Pickman’s Other Model (1929)
- At the Gate of Deeper Slumber
- Fish Bride
The signed limited edition of Confessions of a Five-Chambered Heart includes not only the collection proper, it’s accompanied by an entirely separate bonus hardcover collection (approximately 80-100 pages).
Confessions of a Five-Chambered Heart is on schedule to be published in Spring 2012.
You can pre-order directly from Subterranean Press here: Confessions of a Five-Chambered Heart