The following market report on the anthology, Bigfoot Among Us, as well as the follow-up interview are courtesy of Market Scoops by D.L. Snell.
Anthology: Bigfoot Among Us
Editor: A.P. Fuchs and Eric S Brown
Pay Rate: 1¢ a word
Response Time: ASAP
Reading Period: Until filled
Description: This is anthology inspired by my book Bigfoot War and it is intended to give Bigfoot fans the kind horror tales that low budget movies have been doing for decades just in a literary fashion. There’s not a lot of Bigfoot horror fiction out there and this book seeks to help change that.
Complete Guidelines: Writer’s Guidelines
Note: Horror author D.L. Snell conducted the following interview to give writers a better idea of what the editors of this specific market are seeking; however, most editors are open to ideas outside of the preferences discussed here, as long as they fit the basic submission guidelines.
1. What authors do you enjoy, and why does their writing captivate you?
Even though I write and love horror, David Drake is my inspiration. The man can write action like no one else. We are looking for fun, fast paced, scary action tales.
2. What are your favorite genres? Which genres would you like to see incorporated into submissions to this market?
We are open to almost anything as long as it shakes up the Bigfoot myth and is fun.
3. What settings most intrigue you? Ordinary or exotic locales? Real or fantasy? Past, present, or future?
I would love to see some tales set in the past and future of the world. Bigfoot is a global legend but I, myself, am partial to southern Bigfoot tales. For this anthology, though, originality wins the day.
4. Explain the type of pacing you enjoy, e.g. slow building to fast, fast throughout, etc.
Fast and fun. Enough said.
5. What types of characters appeal to you the most? Any examples?
I like military stuff a lot but I certainly wouldn’t turn down a well done superhero vs. Bigfoot tale.
6. Is there a specific tone you’d like to set in your publication? What kind of voices grab you and keep you enthralled? Any examples?
If you’ve read my own book Bigfoot War, you kind of have an idea of what we are going for here. Think back to all those Bigfoot horror films and ask yourself as a fan, what would you like to have seen in them?
7. What is your policy for vulgarity, violence, and sexual content? Any taboos?
Profanity should be kept out as much as possible. You don’t need cursing to tell a great story, and please.
8. What kind of themes are you seeking most in submissions to this market? In general, what themes interest you?
As long as it’s fast paced and fun, it’s got a chance. The Bigfoot creatures must be the bad guys, though it doesn’t matter if the “good guys” win in the end or not.
9. Overall, do you prefer downbeat or upbeat endings?
Things like Dawn of the Dead pretty much say how I feel about endings. The bleaker, the better.
10. Any last advice for submitters to this market? Any critical do’s or do not’s?
Have fun above all. Write from your heart and just tell a good, moving story.