Thirty years ago, Monroeville Mall was overrun by zombies. Only two humans survived the ordeal and one of them is returning to the site of Dawn of the Dead next month.
Ken Foree, who played Peter in the original Dawn film, will headline the guest list for The It’s Alive 2008 Zombie Fest – a free fan festival that will take place at Monroeville Mall outside Pittsburgh, PA on October 25 and 26. The show is open to the public and all ages are welcome (though the film screenings open to ages 17 and over only).
In addition to Foree, who has also appeared in director Rob Zombie’s The Devil’s Rejects and Halloween, other guests
scheduled to appear are: Dawn of the Dead zombies Sharon Ceccatti Hill, Clayton Hill, Leonard Lies, Joe Shelby and Frank Serrao; Sam Nicotero, whose film credits include The Crazies and Children of the Living Dead; and these horror writers contributing to discussion panels sponsored by Permuted Press: Travis Adkins, Michael Arnzen, JL Bourne, Tim Gross, Bowie Ibarra, Scott A. Johnson, Glenn Kay, Jonathan Maberry, Steven North, and Kim Paffenroth.
Zombie Fest is part of Pittsburgh’s Zombie Weekend, kicking off with a Zombie Masquerade Ball sponsored by Straub Beer on Friday, October 24. The Ball is open to ages 21 and older; tickets are available for $20 in advance or $22 at the door. The fun continues on Saturday and Sunday as zombies and zombie fans invade Monroeville Mall for the second annual Zombie Fest featuring specialty vendors, celebrity guests, bands, author panels, films, games and contests. The highlight of the weekend will be the annual zombie walk on Sunday morning, which drew more than 1,000 people in 2007 and earned a Guinness World Record. and Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Award. The walk is the hub of World Zombie Day with 50 cities participating worldwide. All cities are holding food drives in conjunction with their walks and Pittsburgh zombies are asked to bring a non-perishable food donation for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank. Activities taking place at Monroeville Mall are free this year.
- Pittsburgh Zombies Reclaim World Record - July 11, 2009
- Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - July 10, 2009
- Damnation Books Announces Initial Titles - July 10, 2009
- The House of Lost Souls – Book Review - July 9, 2009
- Futile Flame Available - July 9, 2009
- Pocket Books Partners With Permuted Press - July 8, 2009
- Robert Dunbar – Featured Author - July 8, 2009
- Stages of Undress: The 3rd Collection – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- Apple of My Eye – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- The World More Full of Weeping Available For Pre-Order - July 7, 2009