Hellnotes is currently seeking additional book reviewers to provide original, thoughtful, and timely reviews of recent and upcoming titles in horror and related genres. A small number of reviews from Hellnotes.com are selected to appear in Dark Discoveries Magazine, and a token payment of $10 is offered for those reprints. Hard copies or licensed eBooks provided to reviewers by publishers remain the author’s property after the review has been completed. We normally seek reviews of approximately 500 words’ length, but longer pieces are welcomed of the piece warrants it.
We are looking for individuals who are committed to promoting the horror genre and helping readers discover new authors and titles. This is a great opportunity to work with some fantastic people, discover new authors, make connections, and stretch the budget on your expensive book-reading habit! Approximately once a month, a list of available titles is distributed and reviewers respond with their preferences. We then assign titles based on a combination of “first come, first serve,” and other factors such as who still owes reviews, who has helped out by taking one that needed doing even if it wasn’t their first choice, and specific expertise in an area (if relevant).
Professional experience in reviewing and editing is not required, but we cannot use reviewers who submit copy that requires significant editing and proofreading, so reviews must be clean and ready for publication on submission. A sample of your writing may be required, but could include reviews from Amazon, Goodreads, or your personal website.
Authors retain copyright but grant Journalstone first electronic rights and the right to archive reviews on Hellnotes.com indefinitely. In addition, authors grant right of first refusal for first print rights in Dark Discoveries as described above. This grant of rights is non-exclusive after the review is published on Hellnotes.com, and authors may reprint their reviews in other venues with appropriate attribution.
If interested, contact Ken Heard, Reviews Editor, using the contact form here.
- Horror in a Hundred – Homecoming by David J. Wing - July 9, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Wizard’s Dungeon by Sheldon Woodbury - July 8, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Dead Man’s Switch by Thomas Kleaton - May 18, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Little Dog Died oh Died in the Ditch by Thomas Kleaton - May 7, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Absentee Ballot by Thomas Kleaton - May 6, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Hoodie by Catherine Bader - April 25, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Rinse Repeat by Thomas Kleaton - April 24, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Toe Tag by Catherine Bader - April 23, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Monster’s Moon by Sheldon Woodbury - April 22, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – She Fought Back by James Newman - April 21, 2015