Boston, MA (July 2013) — In recognition of the legacy of Shirley Jackson’s writing, and with permission of the author’s estate, The Shirley Jackson Awards, Inc. has been established for outstanding achievement in the literature of psychological suspense, horror, and the dark fantastic.
The Shirley Jackson Awards are voted upon by a jury of professional writers, editors, critics, and academics, with input from a Board of Advisors. The awards are given for the best work published in the preceding calendar year in the following categories: Novel, Novella, Novelette, Short Story, Single-Author Collection, and Edited Anthology.
The 2012 Shirley Jackson Awards were presented on Sunday, July 14th, 2012, at Readercon 24, Conference on Imaginative Literature, in Burlington, Massachusetts. Maureen F. McHugh, Readercon 24 Guest of Honor and a previous Shirley Jackson Award winner, acted as host.
The winners for the 2012 Shirley Jackson Awards are:
Edge, Koji Suzuki (Vertical, Inc.)
“Sky,” Kaaron Warren (Through Splintered Walls, Twelfth Planet Press)
“Reeling for the Empire,” Karen Russell (Tin House, Winter 2012)
“A Natural History of Autumn,” Jeffrey Ford (Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, July/August 2012)
Crackpot Palace, Jeffrey Ford (William Morrow)
Exotic Gothic 4: Postscripts #28/29, edited by Danel Olson (PS Publishing)
Board of Advisors
Jack M. Haringa
Board of Directors
F. Brett Cox
JoAnn F. Cox
JoAnn F. Cox
Shirley Jackson (1916-1965) wrote such classic novels as The Haunting of Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle, as well as one of the most famous short stories in the English language, “The Lottery.” Her work continues to be a major influence on writers of every kind of fiction, from the most traditional genre offerings to the most innovative literary work.
- Horror in a Hundred – Homecoming by David J. Wing - July 9, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Wizard’s Dungeon by Sheldon Woodbury - July 8, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Dead Man’s Switch by Thomas Kleaton - May 18, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Little Dog Died oh Died in the Ditch by Thomas Kleaton - May 7, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Absentee Ballot by Thomas Kleaton - May 6, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Hoodie by Catherine Bader - April 25, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Rinse Repeat by Thomas Kleaton - April 24, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Toe Tag by Catherine Bader - April 23, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Monster’s Moon by Sheldon Woodbury - April 22, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – She Fought Back by James Newman - April 21, 2015