EMAfilms, T&A Films, and Epic Pictures Group are pleased to announce that TURBO KID, a Canada-New Zealand co-production, will make its World Premiere at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival in the Park City at Midnight section. The Festival takes place January 22 to February 1 in Park City, Salt Lake City, Ogden, and Sundance, Utah.
TURBO KID is a post-apocalyptic, BMX-powered, blood-splattered love story that follows the epic journey of an orphaned outcast reluctant to be a hero in the wasteland of an alternate future.
TURBO KID is written and directed by RKSS: Anouk Whissell, François Simard, and Yoann-Karl Whissell. Cast members include Munro Chambers, Laurence Leboeuf, Michael Ironside, Aaron Jeffery, and Edwin Wright.
“We always envisioned TURBO KID to be like some lost crazy kid’s movie from the 1980s that’s somehow has just been rediscovered,” said RKSS. “We wanted a love story with the exploitation elements we grew up with, a post-apocalyptic scenario, over-the-top gore FX, super turbo explosions, and a few BMX tricks for good measure. We were going for a retro inspired aesthetic, not just from an overall visual presentation, but from how the narrative unfolds. We wanted TURBO KID to appeal to a whole new generation of warped kids (and crazy adults).”
RKSS, also known as Roadkill Superstar, has written and directed over twenty short films, many of which have won awards at various festivals abroad, including LE BAGMAN, T IS FOR TURBO, and DEMONITRON. TURBO KID is their first film feature collaboration.
The film is produced by EMAfilms’ Anne-Marie Gélinas and Benoit Beaulieu and T&A Films’ Ant Timpson and Tim Riley and is executive produced by Jason Eisener (HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN), Epic Pictures Group’s Patrick Ewald and Shaked Berenson, Raven Banner’s Michael Paszt, and Curious Films’ Matt Noonan.
TURBO KID is financed by Telefilm Canada, New Zealand Film Commission, the Quebec Provincial Tax Credit Program, the Canadian Tax Credit Program, and Alchemy 24 and our collaborators Cinepool, Departement Camera, and Curious Films. The film is distributed in Canada by Raven Banner and in Quebec by Filmoption International.
Epic Pictures Group is representing worldwide sales rights outside of Australia, New Zealand, and Canada at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival.
In a post-apocalyptic future The Kid, an orphaned outcast, meets a mysterious girl. They become friends until Zeus, the sadistic leader of the Wasteland, kidnaps her. The Kid must face his fears and journey to rid the Wasteland of evil and save the girl.
- November JournalStone Newsletter - November 4, 2016
- Enter to Win Tickets to See ‘From Dusk Till Dawn’ — Back in Theatres for Two Days Only! - October 25, 2016
- Help Celebrate the Release of ‘Freaks Anon’ – Enter to Win a Signed Copy! - October 10, 2016
- October JournalStone Newsletter - October 5, 2016
- Enter to Win a copy of ‘The Devil’s Work’! - September 29, 2016
- September JournalStone Newsletter - September 5, 2016
- Win a Weird Western Story Bundle Courtesy of ChiZine Publications! - August 26, 2016
- Graveyard – Book Review - August 25, 2016
- Exclusive Interview with ‘Casefile: ARKHAM’ Creators Josh Finney and Patrick McEvoy! - August 23, 2016
- Brother – Book Review - August 22, 2016