The Toronto SpecFic Colloquium, hosted by the Chiaroscuro Reading Series, returns for its second year on October 15, 2011. The theme for the one-day event will be “Modern Mythologies” featuring a special talk from supernatural detective author and comic book powerhouse Mike Carey.
“Speculative fiction forges the mythologies that explain who we are today and what we might be tomorrow,” remarks co-organizer Helen Marshall. “We want the Colloquium to bring together authors and readers to build up Toronto’s writing community and get a sense of where the genres of science fiction, fantasy and horror are headed.” Presenting a series of talks and readings, the Colloquium will consider the importance of the stories that define humanity in the present age from the aliens hiding among us to the gates of Hell ripping open in our backyards.
The Colloquium will also host a round-table discussion on the state of the field with ChiZine Publications co-publisher Sandra Kasturi, HarperCollins Director of Publicity Rob Firing; Rue Morgue Peter Watts, Lesley Livingston, Daniel Heath Justice, Emily Pohl-Weary, and Daniel Rabuzzi; Editor Monica Kuebler and others.
The 2nd Toronto SpecFic Colloquium will take place on Saturday October 15, 2011 at the Toronto Underground Cinema (186 Spadina Avenue). Registration opens on March 1, 2011.
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013