Best-selling author David Morrell has another book headed into movie production. The award winning Morrell, whose best known for his work with First Blood, the novel in which Rambo was created, has signed a deal with Nashville based Bloody Moon Films for movie rights to the 1979 novel The Totem.
The Totem is a horror thriller about a Wyoming ranch town called Potter’s Field, where a virus is unleashed and spreads through bites by infected people. Police chief Nathan Slaughter is thrown into a vortex tunnel of terror trying to unveil why animals become savage, children become insane and the entire town turns into a frenzy of violence.
Legendary author Stephen King called The Totem, “A Knockout!”
“The Washington Post called The Totem ‘one of the finest horror novels.’
“Given its eerie subject, I look forward to the scares that aptly named Bloody Moon Films has in store for audiences,” states Morrell.
Ben Dixon and wife Stacey are the founders of Bloody Moon Films. Ben, a producer and director, and Stacey, a producer and actress, are in their tenth year of operation. The company’s first film Dark Harvest 3 Skarecrow was distributed by Lions Gate Films in 2006. Aconite and Shudder followed, and their latest project Old Habits Die Hard starred horror great Kane Hodder from Friday the 13th fame.
“We are thankful for the opportunity to work with Mr. Morrell and his team on production of The Totem,” states Ben. “I also have my father to thank as well. Several years ago my ailing dad handed me a copy of the book, saying it was a true horror novel and I had to read it. Time passed, but last August fate was staring me in the face. The book was sitting on a shelf by itself, and I grabbed it for a road trip and finished it in no time. Three months later I had a 170 page draft in place.”
Production and cast selection on the three million dollar movie project is currently underway, with filming slated to begin this spring. Ben will serve as the film’s director.
In addition to success with the Rambo film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone, Morrell has written more than 30 books and has 18 million copies in print.
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013