More than two decades ago, a small press issued The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick in a hardcover edition limited to only 500 sets. Earlier this year, the Dick estate approached Subterranean Press to see if they’d issue them in hardcover again, with a uniform set of dust jackets by Bill Sienkiewicz, two stories that weren’t in the previous collected set, as well as additional story notes.
Subterranean said yes, and The King of the Elves is the first volume of their set, due in December. The King of the Elves is the opening installment of a uniform, five-volume edition of The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick, expanded from the previous Collected Stories set to incorporate new story notes, and two added tales, one previously unpublished, and one uncollected. This generous collection contains 22 stories and novellas including Dick’s first published story, “Beyond Lies the Wub,” together with such landmark tales as “The Preserving Machine,” in which an attempt to preserve our fragile cultural heritage takes an unexpected turn, “The Variable Man,” a brilliantly imagined novella encompassing war, time travel, and the varied uses of technology, and the title story, in which Shadrach Jones, owner of a dilapidated gas station in Colorado, stumbles into an ongoing war between trolls and elves, and encounters a fantastic – and utterly unexpected – destiny. Like the best of Dick’s novels, these stories offer a wide variety of narrative and intellectual pleasures, and provide an ideal introduction to one of the singular imaginations of the modern era.
As an added incentive to order early, until the end of the day, September 10, 2010, Subterranean Press is offering special prices on the leatherbound and trade hardcover editions of Elves. You can look for a new volume in the set roughly every six months.
Limited: 200 numbered leatherbound copies (unsigned): Special — $45
Trade: Fully cloth bound hardcover edition: Special — $25
To learn more and order: The King Of The Elves
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013