Horror Writers Association Establishes Two Annual Scholarships
Oct. 14, 2013–The Horror Writers Association (HWA) is pleased to announce two annual scholarships – the Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley Scholarship; and The Horror Writers Association Scholarship, each worth $2500.
The Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley Scholarship will be open to female writers who are members of the HWA. The Horror Writers Association Scholarship will be open to all members of the HWA. The first Scholarships will be awarded in early 2014.
Thereafter, the Scholarships will be given annually. Both Scholarships are designed to assist in the professional development of our Members.
HWA President Rocky Wood explained the intent of The Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley Scholarship, “It is very clear to the HWA that there are unseen, but real, barriers limiting the amount of horror fiction being published by women. There are many fine women writers being published in our genre but we also see potential for the percentage of horror fiction being published by women to increase. This Scholarship, named after the great female horror writer, aims to encourage more female writers to enter our genre and to aid in the development of those already working within it. At the same time the HWA exists to extend the horror genre in all its aspects, so we are also establishing Horror Writers Association Scholarship, which is open to all our members, regardless of gender.”
The application for each Scholarship will be the same – a sub-Committee of the HWA Board will choose the winners, who will be announced around 15 March of each year. Applications will open on 1 November 2013 and close at midnight US PST on 31 December 2013.
Each Scholarship is worth $2500, which may be spent on approved writing education over the two years following the granting of the scholarship (see the Rules at http://www.horror.org/blog/guide-to-applying-for-hwa-scholarships for more detail).
“These are the largest, and possibly the only, Scholarships offered in the horror genre. HWA hopes to supplement these scholarships with smaller grants as funds allow,” Wood said. Full information may be found http://www.horror.org/blog/guide-to-applying-for-hwa-scholarships/.
The Horror Writers Association (www.horror.org), the peak group for horror writers, is a worldwide organization promoting dark literature and its creators. Started in 1985, it has over 1100 members writing professionally in fiction, nonfiction, videogames, film, poetry, comics, and other media.
For more details, please contact email@example.com.
- Horror in a Hundred – Homecoming by David J. Wing - July 9, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Wizard’s Dungeon by Sheldon Woodbury - July 8, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Dead Man’s Switch by Thomas Kleaton - May 18, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Little Dog Died oh Died in the Ditch by Thomas Kleaton - May 7, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Absentee Ballot by Thomas Kleaton - May 6, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Hoodie by Catherine Bader - April 25, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Rinse Repeat by Thomas Kleaton - April 24, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Toe Tag by Catherine Bader - April 23, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Monster’s Moon by Sheldon Woodbury - April 22, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – She Fought Back by James Newman - April 21, 2015