Telos Publishing scooped the Silver Award in the Performing Arts category at ForeWord Magazine’s Book of the Year Awards, announced at BookExpo America in New York last week. The winning title was Axelle Carolyn’s It Lives Again!, an analysis of the modern horror film.
ForeWord Reviews’ Book of the Year Awards were established to bring increased attention to librarians and booksellers of the literary and graphic achievements of independent publishers and their authors. ForeWord is the only review trade journal devoted exclusively to books from independent houses.
Telos Publishing’s David J Howe commented on the award, saying, “We’re delighted that Axelle Carolyn’s book was considered worthy by the judges of this award. We tried to ensure that textually and visually it presented the best overview of the subject that it could, and it’s great that all the hard work has been recognised in this way.”
ForeWord’s founder and publisher, Victoria Sutherland, spoke at the awards ceremony: “This year more than ever before, we heard from the judges how great the finalist books were and how difficult it was to make their decisions,” she said. “Despite this tough economy, independent publishers are producing some of the best books out there, and we are happy to honor them today.”
The award process brings readers, librarians, and booksellers together to select their top categories as well as choose the winning titles. Their decisions are based on editorial excellence, professional production, originality of the narrative, author credentials relative to the book, and the value the book adds to its genre.
ForeWord named 201 Book of the Year Award winners in 60 categories. These books, representing the best independently published works from 2009, were selected by a panel of librarian and bookseller judges.
Other winners: Performing Arts category
To order: It Lives Again!
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013