Subterranean Press reports that they’ve recently received a couple of boxes of the long out-of-print anthology, Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2, back from one of their large accounts. They’re rejacketing copies to bring them back up to snuff, and have gladly added them back to their site.
Those of you with long memories may recall that Dark Fantasy 2 includes a brand new novelette by Joe Hill, plus stories by Kelley Armstrong, Caitlin R. Kiernan, and a helluva good novella by Norman Partridge. Now’s as good a time as any to fill in that hole in your collection with a copy.
Description: This stellar collection leads off with Joe Hill’s dazzling “Wolverton Station,” in which a predatory businessman travels to England, and to a primal confrontation he could never have imagined. Elsewhere, a number of contributors revisit familiar, well-established themes and settings. Glen Cook’s “Smelling Danger” gives us a brand new chapter in the long-running annals of The Black Company. “The Passion of Mother Vajpai” is a story of exotic – and erotic – initiation set against the backdrop of Jay Lake’s novel, Green. Kelley Armstrong reenters the Otherworld with “Chivalrous,” the account of a devious – and long-delayed – act of revenge.
And there’s more, much more, including a hallucinatory portrait of guilt, angst, and drug-fueled violence by Caitlin R. Kiernan, and an affecting reflection on love, death, and acceptance by Steven R. Boyett. These stories, together with first-rate work by the likes of K. J. Parker and Norman Partridge, offer provocative, sometimes visceral entertainment. As this rich, rewarding volume amply demonstrates, the tale of dark fantasy is alive and thriving, and continues to develop in new – and unexpected – ways.
Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 is made up almost exclusively of novelettes rather than short stories. The limited edition will be feature full color art not in the trade edition and be accompanied by a chapbook of two original short stories (over 15,000 words) by SubPress favorite Joe R. Lansdale. The tales: “The Case of the Lighthouse Shambler” and “The Case of the Stalking Shadow” mark the beginning of a new series featuring supernatural sleuth Dana Roberts.
Table of Contents
- Joe Hill – Wolverton Station
- Kelley Armstrong – Chivalrous
- Steven R. Boyett – Not Last Night but the Night Before
- Glen Cook – Smelling Danger: A Story of The Black Company
- Caitlin R. Kiernan – Hydraguros
- Jay Lake and Shannon Page – The Passion of Mother Vajpai
- K. J. Parker – A Room with a View
- Norman Partridge – Vampire Lake
- David Prill — A Pulp Called Joe
- William Browning Spencer — That Dappled Thing
- Bruce Sterling — The Partheneon Scalpel
If the signed, limited edition is more your speed, there are roughly a dozen copies of those left. It includes all of the stories in the trade hardcover, plus a number of full color interior illustrations by J. K. Potter, and a 15,000 word chapbook containing two new supernatural sleuth stories by Joe R. Lansdale.
Limited: 250 signed numbered hardcover copies, with bonus illustrations, and Joe R. Lansdale chapbook: $150
You can order directly from Subterranean here: Dark Fantasy 2
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013