Supernatural Tales #20
Edited by David Longhorn
Supernatural Tales Press, Trade Paperback £17.00
Reviewed by Mario Guslandi
The 20th issue of Supernatural Tales, the magazine/anthology created by David Longhorn continues to offer to dark fiction lovers a varied menu of well written, enticing short stories.
Among the tales included therein I want to mention, first of all, “The Folded Hands” by Katherine Hayes, an experienced author who contributes a fascinating, puzzling, almost Aickmanesque story featuring an unsuccessful magician, a wealthy gentleman and a girl desperately in love.
“Wolf Hour” by Daniel Mills, although not quite original (it blends a lot of classical ingredients of the ghost story: the femme fatale, the séance, the doppelganger…) manages to engross the reader thanks to its eerie, atmospheric nature.
The mysterious Philbampus provides “Sallow,” an obscure, slightly blasphemous tale of horror and pedophilia, set in the world of a little parish in a forlorn village.
Brian Day’s “Good for the Gander” is a gentle piece where a widower living in a deserted area is lured by deceiving party lights appearing in various empty houses.
“The Friends of Faustina” by Michael Chislett is an enigmatic, compelling cocktail of cultural touring in Brighton and ghostly appearances, served with a bit of humor and a touch of eroticism. Delicious!
Unfortunately I can’t say much about Andrew Kolarik’s “The Burning Man.” I don’t have a clue, surely due to my limited intelligence, what the “story” is about but other readers will possibly be able to find its meaning.
As always the booklet is supplemented but a few interesting, insightful reviews by the Editor.
- The Parts We Play – Book Review - February 2, 2017
- Dark Tales by Shirley Jackson – Book Review - December 9, 2016
- Fishhead: The Darker Tales of Irvin S. Cobb – Book Review - November 9, 2016
- Dissonant Intervals by Louis Marvick – Book Review - October 4, 2016
- You’ll Know When You Get There – Book Review - September 12, 2016
- A Feast of Sorrows – Book Review - September 9, 2016
- Spectral Shadows – Book Review - July 19, 2016
- Thirty Hours With a Corpse and Other Tales of the Grand Guignol – Book Review - May 26, 2016
- Scar City – Book Review - May 17, 2016
- Aickman’s Heirs – Book Review - May 14, 2015