Now that Halloween is drawing near, female filmmakers working in genre cinema are stampeding to Viscera as it announced its 2013 festival call for submissions. From October 1, 2012 through February 28, 2013 (culminating in Women in Horror Month), Viscera is accepting digital submissions for its 2013 festival season. Unlike most festivals, Viscera does not charge submission fees. Filmmakers interested in submitting should head to the Submissions tab of the main website.
For filmmakers whose work is selected, gore-soaked masses of thrilling experiences await. On the Viscera Film Festival Bloody Carpet Event, filmmakers pose for photos and meet fans and fellow filmmakers, as well as big-name celebrity guests. Films are screened in front of enthusiastic crowds (this July, Viscera screened at the Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles). Uniquely beautiful awards are given out, and there’s always an after-party. But the Viscera World Tour is the real draw: Festival-selected films are shown around the world throughout the year. As every filmmaker knows, the more a film screens, the greater the opportunity is for furthering a career in the industry.
Although Viscera’s primary mission is to promote female filmmakers, the Organization doesn’t believe in exclusion or domination, but in equality. Many men are co-directors/co-producers of the films programmed. Even scary little monsters (filmmakers age 18 and under) can gain support in their budding careers via Viscera’s Fresh Blood category.
Additionally, horror photographer Joshua Hoffine, known for his work depicting children’s nightmares, lent one of his frightening images for the call for submissions poster. It depicts a menacing monsteress lying on a field of rose petals in the style of American Beauty, which illustrates the horror and beauty of Viscera’s mission in gorgeous, full-blooded color.
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013