Subterranean Press has announced July as the release date for Peter Straub’s The Juniper Tree and Other Blue Rose Stories. This will mark the first time all of his Blue Rose Trilogy-related short stories and novellas will be gathered in the same book. Add to that a brand new interview conducted by long-time Straub aficionado Bill Sheehan, and it makes for a winning package.
Peter Straub’s Blue Rose trilogy (Koko, Mystery, and The Throat) is one of the landmark accomplishments of modern popular fiction. Ranging from the Caribbean to Vietnam to the American Midwest and spanning decades of tumultuous history, these books are both unforgettable narratives and indelible portraits of people in extremis, struggling to survive in a world marked by grief, loss, pain, trauma, and homicidal madness. The four stories gathered here are offshoots of that larger fictional universe. Each one stands entirely on its own. Together, they shine a revelatory light on the mysteries and hidden corners of the novels that inspired them.
“Blue Rose” recounts a defining moment in the childhood of Koko’s Harry Beevers, the moment when the ten-year-old Harry discovers his capacity for violence and brutality. “The Juniper Tree” describes, with almost unbearable clarity, a lonely young boy’s encounter with adult betrayal, and with the darker aspects of human sexuality. “The Ghost Village” takes us to the phantasmagoric landscape of Vietnam, where the barriers between the living and the dead begin to dissolve, to mesmerizing effect. “Bunny is Good Bread” is arguably Straub’s single most harrowing story. With relentless attention to detail, it anatomizes the creation of a human monster through abuse, cruelty, and neglect.
These disturbing, beautifully written stories have a moral weight and emotional resonance that only the finest fiction achieves. They are the clear product of a master storyteller at the very top of his game. No one who reads them is likely to forget them, or come away unchanged.
You can learn more and/or pre-order here: The Juniper Tree
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013