Jo Fletcher Books will be officially launching the stunning new hardcover collection, Curious Warnings: The Great Ghost Stories Of M.R. James, with a signing by editor Stephen Jones and artist Les Edwards on Saturday June 16th at the British Fantasy Society Open Day, The Mug House, 1 Tooley Street, London E1 2PF, from 1:00 pm until late.
Commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the birth of M.R. James, the sumptuously-crafted Curious Warnings: The Great Ghost Stories Of M.R. James contains all the author’s classic supernatural stories collected in a single volume, including the children’s novel The Five Jars, along with uncompleted works, essays, and a historical Afterword by Stephen Jones, all copiously illustrated by award-winning artist Les Edwards.
Montague Rhodes James (1862-1936) was Provost of King’s College, Cambridge, and Eton. Most of his ghost stories were occasional pieces, written for friends or college magazines, and were collected in Ghost-Stories Of An Antiquary (1904), More Ghost Stories Of An Antiquary (1911), A Thin Ghost And Others (1919), and A Warning To The Curious And Other Ghost Stories (1925). Widely regarded as one of the finest authors of supernatural fiction in the English language, James is credited as the originator of the ‘antiquarian ghost story’, replacing the Gothic horrors of the previous century with more contemporary settings for his subtle hauntings. Many of his stories were originally written as Christmas entertainments and were read aloud by the author to selected gatherings of friends.
Curious Warnings: The Great Ghost Stories Of M.R. James is the one collection of the author’s work that fans cannot afford to miss. And Stephen Jones and Les Edwards will be on hand to personally sign copies on the day (time to be announced).
There will also be other signings throughout the BFS Open Day, and numerous authors, artists, editors and publishers will be in attendance. Entrance is free and open to anyone, so if you like fantasy, horror and imaginative fiction, then come along for a fun day out!
You can pick up the Kindle edition here: Curious Warnings
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013