Renee Miller has an interview with Joel S. Sutherland currently running in the Toronto Publishing Examiner. Canadian author Joel A. Sutherland is a librarian who lives east of Toronto, Ontario. Frozen Blood, due out in late October from Leisure Books in a mass market edition, is his first novel.
Description: As Tara Stewart drives through the dark, winter night, from Charlotte to Ottawa, she’s haunted by ghosts from her past. Summoned to her abusive father’s funeral, she hasn’t been home, or spoken to her family, in years. The last place she wants to be is in the company of her vindictive twin sister, Evelyn, and her brother-in-law, Peter. The hail begins to fall. Thanks to treacherous road conditions, she barely makes it to her destination. Upon arriving, she falls on the icy driveway, slamming her knee into concrete and compact snow. Evelyn and Peter pull her inside, just as she is losing consciousness.
Outside, the hailstorm still rages. Reports on the news suggest it’s a worldwide phenomenon. Globally, resulting damage and death is reaching catastrophic levels. Now a prisoner in her father’s old mansion, stuck with her estranged twin and brother-in-law, Tara must try to survive the worst storm in modern history. She soon discovers the storm is not her only enemy. Her family – and the house itself – seem intent on her destruction. Can she survive the undying hailstorm, and whispered threats from her ghosts, who swear the end is near?
In response to a question about tips for new writers, Sutherland says, “Read, write, submit. Repeat. Simple as that. But I also can’t stress the value of networking enough. Not only social networking, either, but the good old fashioned kind, too. You know, actually leaving your home from time to time to meet with other writers, publishers and editors. Find a writing group in your neck of the woods and if one doesn’t exist, start one yourself. Go to every convention, workshop and literary gathering you possibly can. Don’t be shy. Writing is such a lonely pursuit but making friends and contacts that are in the same boat can be exceptionally helpful.”
You can read the interview in its entirety here: Joel S. Sutherland
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013