Courtesy of Publishers Weekly…
In yet another twist in the Authors Guild vs. Google, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals yesterday agreed to hear Google’s appeal of Judge Denny Chin’s May 31 decision granting the case class action status. As of today, the appeal has no bearing on the current schedule, although Judge Chin could issue a stay at any point, suspending proceedings. As of press time, however, the parties have not asked for a delay and Chin has not filed a new scheduling order, meaning opposition briefs, due August 24, are still expected to be filed at this time.
“I don’t expect this to change the timetable for the case in the District Court, given how long the case has been kicking around and Judge Chin’s eagerness to move it forward,” NYLS’s James Grimmelmann told PW. “The appeal will proceed in parallel. And unless the Second Circuit decides to accelerate the process, it will proceed at the usual stately pace for appeals, with a full briefing followed by oral argument.” Since the issue on appeal has no direct connection to the merits of the case (the case is a fair use case whether it proceeds as a class action, or on the claims of the three named plaintiffs) Chin could certainly decide to keep the current schedule, and have the case fully briefed while awaiting a decision on standing from the Second Circuit. Chin, a member of the Second Circuit sitting by designation at the district court, recused himself from the appeal.
Complicating any decision to stay the current proceedings is a parallel case, The Authors Guild vs. HathiTrust. In that case, before judge Harold Baer, the AG is suing Google’s libraries partners, but the core issue, primarily whether mass digitization is fair use, is nearly identical. The HathiTrust case is now fully briefed and scheduled for a November trial. If a decision came first in that case that addressed the fair use question, legal observers say it could certainly influence the outcome in the Google case.
For the full article, please visit Publishers Weekly: Second Circuit to Hear Google Appeal in Authors Guild Case
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013