To honor the death of Scottish mathematician John Napier and celebrate the release of Derryl Murphy’s new novel Napier’s Bones, ChiZine Publications has announced the “Napier’s Legacy Contest,” which seeks submissions of short stories, jokes and inventions inspired by John Napier.
Launched April 4, the date of John Napier’s death in 1617, the contest is looking for creative works related to John Napier’s interests, which include mathematics, the occult and alchemy. Winners will receive a limited hardcover for the best “undiscovered” invention by John Napier, a trade paperback for an original short story where numbers play some role in the plot, and an eBook for the best numbers-based joke.
“Derryl’s novel presents a world where numbers are the basis of magic,” explains co-publisher Sandra Kasturi. “It’s such an unusual take on magic that we wanted to run a truly unique contest where people can have some creative fun and enter in different ways. I can’t wait to see what kind of cool stories and wacky fake ‘inventions’ people come up with, not to mention all the terrible jokes!”
Full details are on the website at: ChiZine Publications. Entries must be received by May 4.
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013