The inaugural edition of the Monsters and Martians Science Fiction Film Festival will run from November 22 to 25, 2012 in Toronto, showcasing new and emerging SF filmmakers while paying homage to the true classics of the genre.
Submissions are now open for the festival, set to run this November 22 to 25, 2012 at Projection Booth Cinema in Toronto.
“The call for submissions was made to coincide with the 65th anniversary of Roswell this weekend, a seminal event which like the splitting of the atom, the first man in space and the development of the electronic computer captured the public imagination and influenced ideas in science fiction for generations to come, just as we hope to inspire and encourage the creativity of filmmakers from around the world,” says Nadia Sandhu, Monsters & Martians Advisory Board Chair.
Steampunk, Slipstream, Time Travel, Space Opera, Futurism, Utopias and Dystopias – these are the stories that Monster and Martians will seek out and explore in short and feature length form. Horror films and entries which rely on a supernatural explanation will not be considered (e.g. ghosts, daemons, curses).
“There are many genre specific and hybrid film festivals in Toronto and Canada: Fantasia, Toronto After Dark, Midnight Madness at TIFF to name but a few, but there really wasn’t a film celebration dedicated solely to the exploration of what is possible- the what could have been and what could come to be,” says Head Programmer Gareth McGorman in explaining the submission criteria.
The Early Bird deadline is August 15, 2012. Regular submission deadline is September 30, 2012 with a final late submission deadline set for October 15, 2012.
Short Films: 30 minutes or less Early Bird Fee: $15 Regular Fee: $20
Feature Length Films: Minimum 1 hour length Early Bird Fee: $25 Regular Fee: $30
Documentary: Any length Early Bird Fee: $20 Regular Fee $25
Documentaries featuring matters relating to science fiction, science fiction writers or science fiction fans will be considered.
Learn more here: Monsters and Martians
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013