On Sunday, August 2, 2009 at the Aero Theatre, American Cinematheque will present a showing of Monster Squad with live commentary from Director Fred Dekker. The 7:30 pm showing is about young kids that form a club that is devoted to monsters, but soon get more than they bargained for when Count Dracula adjourns to Earth, accompanied by Frankenstein’s Monster, the Wolfman, the Mummy and the Gill-man. The uglies are in search of a powerful amulet that will grant them power to rule the world. Our heroes – the Monster Squad are the only ones daring to stand in their way. For more: Monster Squad
On Wednesday, August 5 – 7:30 pm – at the Egyptian Theatre, American Cinematheque will present the 2009 screenwriting documentary, Tales From The Script. Shane Black (Lethal Weapon), John Carpenter (Halloween), Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption), William Goldman (The Princess Bride), Paul Schrader (Taxi Driver) and dozens of other Hollywood screenwriters share hilarious anecdotes and penetrating insights in Tales From The Script, the most comprehensive documentary ever made about screenwriting.
By analyzing their triumphs and recalling their failures, the participants explain how successful writers develop the skills necessary for toughing out careers in one of the world’s most competitive industries. They also reveal the untold stories behind some of the greatest screenplays ever written, describing their adventures with luminaries including Harrison Ford, Morgan Freeman, Stanley Kubrick, Joel Silver, Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg. The film was produced in tandem with the upcoming Harper Collins book of the same name.
Discussion following with director Peter Hanson and screenwriters Larry Cohen (Phone Booth), Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption), David Hayter (X-Men), Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk), Billy Ray (Shattered Glass), Adam Rifkin (The Dark Backward), Jose Rivera (The Motorcycle Diaries) and David S. Ward (The Sting), schedules permitting.
For more: Tales From The Script
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013