Kylie and her friends are hanging out at the Meadowside shopping mall, causing trouble and having a good time. After shoplifting a pair of sneakers, Kylie runs away from the mall cop with her friends. Once they have gotten away, they hide in the movie theater. When they emerge, they encounter crazy people who try to attack them, biting and scratching and covered in blood.
Amy is a pregnant woman in her last few weeks, shopping in the maternity store when it’s suddenly overrun with violent people. She’s able to find shelter in a back room, but realizes she’s in more trouble as she goes into labor.
After losing track of her friends, Kylie joins up with Smiffy to battle the zombies in the mall. When they hear a baby crying in Motherhood, Kylie rescues the baby. She wants to take the baby to the House of Fun, where a police woman is trying to keep order with other survivors.
What follows is a gory, action-packed war between shoppers and zombies that never lets the reader catch his breath. Chainsaws, axes, baseball bats – anything and everything is used as a weapon to crush heads and splatter blood, brains, and innards.
Meadowside is a fun, no-holds-barred zombie story. It’s not for the squeamish or easily offended, but if you love a good zombie story, you will enjoy this.
My only complaint is the epilogue, which takes place two years later. They are still in the mall, and zombies are still outside. Survivors have moved into the various stores, and keep to themselves. For me, I couldn’t figure out how they could last for two years in a mall without having supplies replenished from the outside, even if there were restaurants and food courts in the mall.
But that’s just a nitpick; I did enjoy the story and would recommend it to all lovers of horror.
- November JournalStone Newsletter - November 4, 2016
- Enter to Win Tickets to See ‘From Dusk Till Dawn’ — Back in Theatres for Two Days Only! - October 25, 2016
- Help Celebrate the Release of ‘Freaks Anon’ – Enter to Win a Signed Copy! - October 10, 2016
- October JournalStone Newsletter - October 5, 2016
- Enter to Win a copy of ‘The Devil’s Work’! - September 29, 2016
- September JournalStone Newsletter - September 5, 2016
- Win a Weird Western Story Bundle Courtesy of ChiZine Publications! - August 26, 2016
- Graveyard – Book Review - August 25, 2016
- Exclusive Interview with ‘Casefile: ARKHAM’ Creators Josh Finney and Patrick McEvoy! - August 23, 2016
- Brother – Book Review - August 22, 2016