Courtesy of Publishers Weekly…
Some 80% of Americans ages 16-29 have read a book in the past year, and 6 in 10 say they have used their local public library, but library attitudes among that age group are somewhat in flux, according to survey report released today by the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project, with younger readers reporting that they are reading more in an “era of digital content,” and increasingly on their mobile devices, suggesting “opportunities of further engagement with libraries” later in life.
The survey looks at an especially attractive segment of the reading population for both libraries and publishers, and how the e-book revolution is changing the reading landscape, and the buying—and borrowing—services of libraries. The findings are especially fascinating among the different age groups within the survey:
Among high schoolers (ages 16-17): Although this group is most likely to have used the library in the past year for school, they are less likely to say that “the library is important to them.” Just over half consider the library “very important” or “somewhat important” compared with roughly two-thirds of older Americans. At the same time, however, this age group is “significantly more likely” to say that they would be interested in checking out pre-loaded e-readers from their local public library if this service was offered, even though the survey revealed that high schoolers among the least likely age groups to have read an e-book in the past year.
You can read the full article here: Majority of Young Readers Still Use Libraries
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013