The hosts of the KGB Fantastic Fiction reading series in New York City are holding a raffle to help support the series. Well-known artists and professionals have donated prizes (see Partial List of Prizes below) which will be raffled off in July. All proceeds from the raffle will go to support the reading series, which has been a bright star in the speculative fiction scene for more than a decade.
Raffle tickets will cost one dollar US ($1) and can be purchased at KGB Fantastic Fiction. You may purchase as many tickets as you want. Tickets will be available from July 14th, 2008 through July 28th, 2008. At midnight on July 28th, raffle winners will be selected randomly for each item and announced on the web. Prizes will be mailed to the lucky winners. (See a more detailed explanation in Raffle Rules).
Partial List of Prizes (a full list is available at the website)
- Story in a bottle by Michael Swanwick
- Tuckerization (your name in a story) by Lucius Shepard
- Tuckerization by Elizabeth Hand
- Tuckerization by Jeffrey Ford
- Pen & Ink drawing of an animal-your choice- by Gahan Wilson
- Original art for a George R. R. Martin novel by Tom Canty
- John Picacio signed print of art for Michael Moorcock novel
- Naomi Novik signed Temeraire first edition
- Your very own wormhole from physicist Michio Kaku
- Peter Straub excerpt of a short story, “Mallon the Guru,” deleted from novel-in-progress, The Skylark
- Holly Black signed advance copy of Good Neighbors
- Original art by Terri Windling
- Carol Emshwiller signed manuscript of The Abominable Child’s Tale
- Complete set of back issues and lifetime subscription to Paradox Magazine
- Critique of a short story by Ellen Datlow
- Critique of a short story by Gardner Dozois
- Critique of a short story by Nancy Kress
- Two year subscription to Sybil’s Garage Magazine
- Ray Bradbury limited edition worth $900
- And dozens more prizes on the website…
About KGB Fantastic Fiction
KGB Fantastic Fiction is a monthly reading series held on the third Wednesday of every month at the famous KGB Bar in Manhattan, hosted by Ellen Datlow and Matthew Kressel. The reading series features luminaries and up-and-comers in speculative fiction. Admission is always free.
Some Of Their Past Readers
Joyce Carol Oates, Lucius Shepard, Jeffrey Ford, Scott Westerfeld, Kelly Link, China Miéville, Nancy Kress, Jack Ketchum, Jack McDevitt, Stewart O’Nan, James Patrick Kelly, Barry N. Malzberg, Samuel (Chip) Delany, Holly Black, Michael Swanwick, Kit Reed, Peter Straub, Andy Duncan, Richard Bowes, Catherynne Valente, Ellen Kushner, Jeff VanderMeer, Naomi Novik, Elizabeth Bear, and others.
A Brief History of the Series
Terry Bisson and Alice K. Turner started the KGB Fantastic Fiction reading series in the late 1990s, attempting to bring together mainstream writers with writers of speculative fiction in order to show, in Alice Turner’s words, “that at a certain level they were plowing exactly the same field.” In the spring of 2000 Ellen Datlow took over for Alice K. Turner and in August 2002 Gavin J. Grant, publisher of Small Beer Press, stepped in for Bisson when he moved to California. Matthew Kressel stepped in for Gavin in April of 2008.
Tickets will go on sale from July 14th through July 28th, midnight, Eastern Daylight Time. The raffle will be held on July 28th at midnight. Each item will be raffled off individually. You may purchase as many tickets per item as you would like. For example, you may purchase ten tickets for the “Michael Swanwick message in a bottle” and fifty tickets for the “Peter Straub manuscript.”
Each ticket purchase increases your chances of winning. For example, if you purchase five tickets of the “Jeffrey Ford Tuckerization” and a total of ten tickets have been sold, your odds of winning are 5 out of 10.
For each item, one winner will be chosen at random using a computerized random number generator. The winning names and prizes will be announced on the KGB Fantastic Fiction website. The donating party is responsible for mailing the prize to the lucky winner.
All proceeds from the raffle go to support the reading series.
List of All Raffle Items Online: Raffle Items