In the tradition of Side Jobs, A Touch of Dead and Strange Candy, top bestselling urban fantasy Kim Harrison delivers a special treat this Halloween season to her legion of readers: Into The Woods, a new collection of short stories from the #1 New York Times bestselling author. The collection features an all-new full length novella plus a variety of new short original works, along with a carefully curated assortment of previously-published stories. Fantasy readers will be thrilled at the contents of Into The Woods, giving them insight into the world of Harrison’s “The Hollows,” a magically-altered take on modern Cincinnati, as well as some original stories that lead one to wonder what the author will explore next as this beloved series of books, featuring bounty hunter/witch/demon Rachel Morgan, heads to a breathtaking finale.
The short story fans have been waiting for:
Many have wondered what happened in Pale Demon to draw elven entrepreneur Trent Kalamack and Jenks the pixie north to Seattle while Rachel fought for her life against a tribunal of witches. The original novella “Million Dollar Baby” finally solves the riddle of their disappearance – and explains how Trent returns to the Hollows with his own newborn progeny – a baby no one in the world, Inderland or human, knew existed.
Other Hollows-set short stories in the collection include:
- “Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil” – Provides some fascinating history on the living vampire Ivy, who “is both her crutch and her saving grace,” according to the author.
- “Dirty Magic” – Banshees are amongst the most feared species in the Inderland community. This chilling tale featuring Mia the banshee will prove to readers why they deserve to be kept at arm’s length!
- “The Bridges of Eden Park” is Kim Harrison’s love letter to Kisten, a character whom she and legions of readers still miss.
- “Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel” is a ghostly tale featuring Rachel and her brother that introduces a powerful witch from the past into the Hollows community.
- “The Bespelled” is an eerie short story featuring the demon Algaliarept, originally published in the mass market edition of The Outlaw Demon Wails.
- “Ley Line Drifter” – A story told through the pint-sized perspective of the larger-than-life pixie Jenks, this tells the cautionary tale of a pixie and a gargoyle doing battle with a wicked dryad; originally published in Unbound.
Harrison also ventures outside The Hollows to share four chilling tales set in alternate realities:
- “Pet Shop Boys” – Harrison relates that she’s always loved the idea of the fey living in a world twin to our own, and wondering what might happen when the veil between worlds thins. In this short story, we find out how much of a dog-eat-dog parallax it might be!
- “Temson Estates” – Written during a period when Harrison found herself pondering the existence of dryads, this is an evocative (and somewhat spooky) tale of land, man and spirit.
- “Spider Silk” – This longer tale about a strange woodland spirit and the family he has beguiled and terrorized for generations is dark and eerie: not something you should read alone in the woods as night approaches!
- “Grace” – The character of Grace has haunted Harrison for years, and this is the perfect story to complete this urban fantasy collection.
About The Author: New York Times bestselling author Kim Harrison was born and raised in Michigan, and has recently returned there. Her bestselling Hollows novels include Dead Witch Walking; The Good, The Bad, and The Undead; Every Which Way But Dead; A Fistful of Charms; For a Few Demons More; The Outlaw Demon Wails; White Witch, Black Curse; Black Magic Sanction and Pale Demon. She is also the author of The Hollows Insider, the bestselling Madison Avery YA series, and the graphic novel Blood Work.
You can pick up this one on Amazon here: Into The Woods