Reviewed by Sheri White
Mary has lived alone in the valley for sixteen years, exiled by her husband due to a relationship gone awry. Now she spends her days gardening, baking, living her quiet life and enjoying her solitude. Until the day a stranger strayed away from the path and into her home. When he offers her freedom, her entire existence is threatened.
She refuses to go back, and is visited by others, urging her to return to the city and her husband. The city is crippled and her husband wants her home. Mary wants to stay, but now storms are descending upon her home and wild dogs are threatening her.
But once Mary faces her fears of her husband and the city, she is confronted with a reality she is not sure she can accept.
Tim Lebbon is well-known in the horror community for his novelizations of popular horror and science fiction movies, as well as authoring his own novels. In the Valley is a quieter story, with beautifully written scenes that spark the reader’s imagination. A sense of unease permeates the story, leading to an ending that works perfectly.
In addition to this wonderful novella, a bonus story called “The God of Rain” is found at the end of the book.
In the Valley, Where Belladonna Grows is a story that will stay with you long after you’ve read it.
- JournalStone’s Amazon only e-book holiday sale! - December 14, 2014
- Mary SanGiovanni’s Latest Limited Edition Chapbook ‘No Songs for the Stars’ Has Been Released! - October 18, 2014
- Jamais Vu Issue 3 – Magazine Review - October 18, 2014
- Nevermore Publicity is set to re-launch on Friday 10/10/14! - October 18, 2014
- Apex Publications Is Set To Give Us ‘War Stories’ - October 17, 2014
- Dark Horse Is Set To Give Us Richard Corben’s ‘Rat God’ - October 17, 2014
- Disordered Minds – Book Review - October 17, 2014
- Where All Light is Left to Die: A Collection of Darkness – Book Review - October 16, 2014
- We Want Your Horror Face! - October 16, 2014
- Demons Come To New York - October 15, 2014