Unleashes Frankenstein Underground in 2015
For Immediate Release: In 2015 Dark Horse Comics will publish Frankenstein Underground, a new five-issue miniseries written by best-selling comic book creator Mike Mignola, with covers by Mignola and interior art by acclaimed artist Ben Stenbeck (Baltimore). The miniseries follows the Frankenstein monster, who is alone, abandoned, and wandering underground, where he discovers both other monsters and the dark secrets to the universe. The miniseries will be the second appearance of the Frankenstein monster within the mythology and continuity of Hellboy, B.P.R.D., and the other Mignolaverse titles; the character first appeared in the graphic novel House of the Living Dead by Mignola and Richard Corben.
“It’s intimidating as hell to take on an icon like the Frankenstein monster,” said Mignola. “I’m trying to do something that’s true to the origin Mary Shelley created for the creature but also captures a bit of the feel that Boris Karloff brought to the role in the classic Universal films. At the same time I’m throwing the monster into an entirely new environment, so I think the result will be something new. It’s an odd one, but ultimately will add an important new wrinkle to the Hellboy/B.P.R.D. world.”
Mignola is no stranger to Frankenstein’s monster. He’s long been fascinated by Shelley’s novel and the iconic Universal Studios films that it spawned. In 1991, he drew scenes from classic Universal Studios horror films for Topps trading cards and recently drew a Bride of Frankenstein Mondo print.
“This version of the Frankenstein monster has the same thirst for knowledge readers will remember from Mary Shelley’s novel,” said Scott Allie, Dark Horse Comics’ editor in chief. “The monster takes the reader through some of the biggest mysteries of the Mignolaverse, shedding new light on important stuff we’ve only touched on before.”
- Richard Christian Matheson Interview with Rick Hipson - March 27, 2017
- JournalStone’s Amazon only e-book holiday sale! - December 14, 2014
- Mary SanGiovanni’s Latest Limited Edition Chapbook ‘No Songs for the Stars’ Has Been Released! - October 18, 2014
- Jamais Vu Issue 3 – Magazine Review - October 18, 2014
- Nevermore Publicity is set to re-launch on Friday 10/10/14! - October 18, 2014
- Apex Publications Is Set To Give Us ‘War Stories’ - October 17, 2014
- Dark Horse Is Set To Give Us Richard Corben’s ‘Rat God’ - October 17, 2014
- Disordered Minds – Book Review - October 17, 2014
- Where All Light is Left to Die: A Collection of Darkness – Book Review - October 16, 2014
- We Want Your Horror Face! - October 16, 2014