After record attendance at its recent Stoker Weekend in Burbank this past June, the Horror Writers Association announced today that it would be hosting a stand-alone convention every other year, beginning with a partnership with World Horror Convention in Brighton, England, in 2010 and an East Coast solo event in 2011. Panels, author signings, pitch sessions with publishers, networking opportunities, and the annual Bram Stoker Awards Banquet are just a few of the popular convention features that will be on tap when the venerable HWA brings its yearly gathering to the eastern half of the United States -its first time since 2006.
On the decision to step out on its own, HWA President Deborah LeBlanc said, “Due to the overwhelming, positive response we received at this year’s Stoker Weekend, the HWA’s Board has decided to take yet another step towards the organization’s overall growth and development.”
LeBlanc went on to say that the organization’s “current plans are to hold a stand-alone Stoker event every other year, and for those events to occur on a rotating basis across North America from the West coast to the East coast, and in the Midwest. This every-other-year format is the perfect balance that will allow us to partner with other conventions, like WHC, in alternate years, while still maintaining individuality on par with HWA’s rising visibility and status in the publishing industry. It will also allow members from various parts of the country easier access to organizational gatherings, while keeping an open door with the World Horror Convention, which allows options for gatherings with international members.”
The Horror Writers Association (HWA) is a nonprofit organization of writers and publishing professionals around the world, dedicated to promoting dark literature and the interests of those who write it. HWA was formed in the late 1980’s with the help of many of the field’s greats, including Dean Koontz, Robert McCammon, and Joe Lansdale. Today, with over 400 members around the globe, it is the oldest and most respected professional organization for the much-loved writers who have brought the reading public the most enjoyable sleepless nights of their lives.
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013