Watching and Waiting
by Nathan Hystad
I know it’s following me again. It’s always there, watching and waiting. If I close my eyes it will end me, so I stay awake. My head pounds as I drink another coffee. I zip my jacket up, as if that will protect me from what’s about to get me. Well I won’t go down without a fight. I hear its footsteps behind me, and I turn and attack. Everything goes red…then nothing.
They say it was an old woman out for a late night walk. My wrists hurt from the cuffs.
I still feel it watching me.
Nathan Hystad is a writer from Sherwood Park, Alberta. His story ‘The Attic’ was just released in North 2 South Press’: Whispers From the Past: Fright and Fear anthology. ‘A Haunting Past’, another short story is in the upcoming anthology Malevolence: Tales from Beyond the Veil, expected out mid October.
For insight into his mind, check out his blog at http://nathanhystad.ticketyboopress.co.uk/
- Horror in a Hundred – Homecoming by David J. Wing - July 9, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Wizard’s Dungeon by Sheldon Woodbury - July 8, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Dead Man’s Switch by Thomas Kleaton - May 18, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Little Dog Died oh Died in the Ditch by Thomas Kleaton - May 7, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Absentee Ballot by Thomas Kleaton - May 6, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Hoodie by Catherine Bader - April 25, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Rinse Repeat by Thomas Kleaton - April 24, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Toe Tag by Catherine Bader - April 23, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Monster’s Moon by Sheldon Woodbury - April 22, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – She Fought Back by James Newman - April 21, 2015