Misery Go Round
by Anthony Cowin
Discordant calliope notes oscillated around the carousel masking the creature’s growls as it hid between the carvings. He scrambled down the pole above a child unnoticed, scraping flakes of paint that fell on her face. The little girl riding the wooden horse was enamoured by the glittering snowfall.
She froze, her falling smile a row of cracked painted teeth, her head a carving. The mothers screamed as their antique children whirled past. Corn-dogs and butter popcorn wafted from the east.
Nobody saw it leap across dark fields that way.
Later mothers clung to children with broken hearts, punctured with splinters.
Bio: Anthony Cowin writes dark and twisted tales that have been published in many print anthologies and online. He’s currently working on a themed anthology of short stories and a urban fantasy novel. You can connect on Twitter at @TonyCowin or visit his website www.anthonycowin.com.
- Horror in a Hundred – Homecoming by David J. Wing - July 9, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Wizard’s Dungeon by Sheldon Woodbury - July 8, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Dead Man’s Switch by Thomas Kleaton - May 18, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Little Dog Died oh Died in the Ditch by Thomas Kleaton - May 7, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Absentee Ballot by Thomas Kleaton - May 6, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Hoodie by Catherine Bader - April 25, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Rinse Repeat by Thomas Kleaton - April 24, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Toe Tag by Catherine Bader - April 23, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Monster’s Moon by Sheldon Woodbury - April 22, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – She Fought Back by James Newman - April 21, 2015