by K.Z. Morano
Grandfather told me that in life, there aren’t any clearly defined rules other than survival.
“I’m scared.” My son’s voice creaked like a rusty hinge.
“Everything’s gonna be fine…” I lied and helped him get into the cart.
The road stretched out like a twisting ochre ribbon.
We watched our unhealthy children disappear into the infinite sunset.
Like stupid cattle, they never asked what was waiting for them at the next town…
Every day, we grew hungrier.
Sometimes, ‘real’ offspring become deadweight.
Low-maintenance artificial pets were preferred.
The following week, rations arrived… not GMOs… but boxes of canned ‘real’ meat.
K.Z. Morano writes anything from romance and erotica to horror and dark fantasy. Her stories have appeared in various publications over the past few months. She is the author of “100 Nightmares”, a collection of 100 stories, each written in 100 words with over 50 illustrations.
100 Nightmares http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVRJNG0
She blogs at http://theeclecticeccentricshopaholic.wordpress.com/
- Horror in a Hundred – Homecoming by David J. Wing - July 9, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Wizard’s Dungeon by Sheldon Woodbury - July 8, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Dead Man’s Switch by Thomas Kleaton - May 18, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Little Dog Died oh Died in the Ditch by Thomas Kleaton - May 7, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Absentee Ballot by Thomas Kleaton - May 6, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Hoodie by Catherine Bader - April 25, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Rinse Repeat by Thomas Kleaton - April 24, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – Toe Tag by Catherine Bader - April 23, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – The Monster’s Moon by Sheldon Woodbury - April 22, 2015
- Horror in a Hundred – She Fought Back by James Newman - April 21, 2015