From Friday, June 13th through Wednesday, June 18th, American Cinematheque will honor John Carpenter’s work with showings of The Thing, The Fog, Escape From New York, Escape From L.A., Halloween, Christine, Big Trouble In Little China, and Assault On Precinct 13. In addition, Carpenter will appear at both Friday and Saturday showings, between films for discussion.
For the past nearly four decades, director John Carpenter has created some of the most consistently entertaining and brilliantly crafted films in American cinema, from his savage urban western Assault On Precinct 13, through his awesome chiller Halloween and his adrenaline-fueled action epic Escape From New York. Carpenter’s films have shown an amazing consistency, creating wickedly modern twists on traditional genres (The Thing) without losing his sense of playfulness or individuality. As his career has progressed, Carpenter has shown the range of a classical studio director, helming not only action and horror films but love stories (Starman) and a philosophical comedy (Memoirs Of An Invisible Man). Yet for all his old-school craftsmanship, Carpenter is first and foremost a maverick with a fiercely independent sensibility and a willingness to confront contemporary America’s most troubling social and political issues. In addition to his work as director, Carpenter has written the screenplays and composed the soundtrack music for almost all of his movies.
The American Cinematheque is a non-profit organization. The Film Programs of the American Cinematheque are presented at the newly re-opened and renovated Aero Theatre at 1328 Montana Avenue in Santa Monica and at the renovated, historic 1922 Grauman’s Hollywood Egyptian Theatre, located at 6712 Hollywood Boulevard.
For additional information visit: John Carpenter … or call 323.461.2020. For 24-hour recorded information: 323.466.FILM.
- Pittsburgh Zombies Reclaim World Record - July 11, 2009
- Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - July 10, 2009
- Damnation Books Announces Initial Titles - July 10, 2009
- The House of Lost Souls – Book Review - July 9, 2009
- Futile Flame Available - July 9, 2009
- Pocket Books Partners With Permuted Press - July 8, 2009
- Robert Dunbar – Featured Author - July 8, 2009
- Stages of Undress: The 3rd Collection – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- Apple of My Eye – Book Review - July 8, 2009
- The World More Full of Weeping Available For Pre-Order - July 7, 2009