Subterranean Press has announced that Harlan Ellison’s gathering of the Darkest American Myths, Deathbird Stories is now at the printer. Their edition is expanded from the original, with three additional tales and a never-before-published afterword.
Description: For more than three decades this singular collection of stories in which the New Gods of freeways, and slot machines, internal combustion deities and evil so enormous that it swallows the streets in shadow, for more than thirty years the power of this book has compelled the attention of not only readers of imaginative bent, but the praise of hard-line literary critics. One cannot codify modern literature of the fantastic without including a reference or selection from this dark book of godly and troubling stories that will not be ignored.
Harlan Ellison wrote this book midway toward the earliest acclaim of a career that now goes into sixty years. He’s still with us. The enfant terrible has become an eminence gris but the tongue remains sharp, the wit unpredictable, the manner still singular. He has outwritten and outlived his caste, and the words in this book carry the fire and truth of his career.
Table of Contents:
- Foreword: Oblations at Alien Altars
- A Word about Time
- From A to Z, in the Sarsaparilla Alphabet
- The Whimper of Whipped Dogs
- Along the Scenic Route
- On the Downhill Side
- O Ye of Little Faith
- Scartaris, June 28th
- The Face of Helene Bournouw
- Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude 38°54’N, Longitude 77°00’13’’W
- Rock God
- Bleeding Stones
- Ernest and the Machine God
- Delusion for a Dragon Slayer
- Shattered Like a Glass Goblin
- Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes
- At the Mouse Circus
- The Place With No Name
- The Man Who Rowed Christopher Columbus Ashore
- The Deathbird
- Afterword: Moving in Mysterious Ways
- A Word About the Cover Art
Deathbird will be an oversize, 7 * 10 inch hardcover, with an original dust jacket painting by Gnemo, and Leo and Diane Dillon endhsheets exclusive to the Signed Limited Edition.
You can still order here: Deathbird Stories