Crossroad Press Digital Editions has some freebies for Kindle readers this week. Here’s the list:
13-15th – The Lower Deep by Hugh B. Cave
Terror Lurks beneath the waves…
In Dame Marie, sleeping villagers walk in the dead of night – they return without memory, naked and soaking from the sea…when they return at all…
Dr. Stephen Spence is new to the village, but he has seen Evil before – when the darkest rites of Voodoo nearly cost him his life.
But Voodoo has two faces; and the Doctor is beginning to see that only the village Houngan – Voodoo priest – may have medicine strong enough to defeat the forces calling from the cove. Now, Spence must convince the rest of the villagers that unimaginable horrors await them all in The Lower Deep.
This nightmare of an ancient civilizations beneath the sea, inviting comparisons to H. P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith, is only one of many titles by Horror, Mystery, and Fantasy master Hugh B. Cave being brought to you in digital by Crossroad press. These are the authorized editions, published in conjunction with Hugh B. Cave’s estate. If you enjoy this title, you should check out Hugh’s World Fantasy Award-Winning collection, Murgunstrumm & Others, as well as the novels The Evil, The Evil Returns, Shades Of Evil, and The Nebulon Horror. Also available are Hugh’s young adult island coffee plantation novel Conquering Kilmarni (also an unabridged audiobook) and the Brand New, never before published novel Serpents in the SUn. Watch for more from this great horror master!
14-16th – Bad Valentines by Steve Vernon
Love is one of those words that people like to throw around – but sometimes love can be one of the meanest and nastiest games in town.
If you’ve ever had your heart broken – then this book is for you.
If you enjoy the taste of strong meat – then this book is for you.
If you’ve got a sense of weird that is honed as sharp as a cutthroat’s knife – then this book is for you.
Here are three of the strangest love stories you have ever read.
- Change of Pace – for a taste of a true Spanish fly.
- Wetside Story – a touching saga of love, squid-things and zombie Nazi death subs.
- Potboiler, told in a Spanish Key – breaking someone’s heart can sometimes be the very last thing you will ever do.
15-16th – For You the Living by Wayne Allen Sallee
From Chicago Horror author Wayne Allen Sallee comes this collection of zombie stories, told in the way only Sallee can, brutal, stark, filled with pain. Jay Bonansinga, co-author of The Walking Dead and bestseeling author of Perfect Victim and Pinkerton’s War says of the title story: “Chicago has its share of treasures – deep dish, the Bean, Kingston’s blues, and Wayne Allen Sallee. Toiling in the stubborn vineyard of short fiction for most of his career, Sallee reaches a sort of a literary apogee with his brilliant and brutal horror novella “For You, The Living.” Ostensibly a plague tale, told in classic Lovecraftian diary form, Sallee’s yarn manages to deftly mingle the deeply personal with the gruesomely Grand Guignol.
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013