Sponsored by ChiZine Publications, in February the Chiaroscuro Reading Series will honor the speculative fiction bookstore Bakka Phoenix Books with readings from several of its alumni, including Robert J. Sawyer and Michelle Sagara West.
The Chiaroscuro Reading Series offers monthly readings from authors of science fiction, fantasy, and horror, and is the only Canadian, all-genre reading series. “We want to provide a casual environment for fans of horror, science fiction and fantasy to discover new authors and meet with their favourites,” remarks CZP Managing Editor, Helen Marshall, one of the lead organizers of the Series. “There’s a huge amount of energy in the Toronto writing community, and we want to tap into that.”
In January, the series was launched with readings and previews from Peter Watts, Caitlin Sweet, and Karin Lowachee to a crowd of over 50 people in the trendy Augusta House, the familiar haunt for many CZP events and permanent home of the Chiaroscuro Reading Series. Video coverage of the readings is available at Toronto SpecFic Colloquium
February’s event will be focused on honoring Bakka Phoenix Books, a genre bookstore considered “something of a landmark in the Toronto spec fic literary scene,” according to CZP Co-Publisher Sandra Kasturi. The event will once again feature readings from acclaimed speculative fiction authors such as Nebula and Hugo award winner Robert J. Sawyer, Ed Greenwood, Michelle Sagara West and Leah Bobet.
“Our biggest focus is to promote a sense of community in an already volatile industry,” says Marshall, “and to encourage the next wave of writers and publishers. We run a program where students can sign up to meet the authors before the readings. The opportunity to interact with major players in the industry has always been a really important aspect of this venture.” Publishers are invited to contact the Series about sponsorships and arranging for their authors to take part.
The February event, Bakka to the Future will take place on Tuesday, February 8, 8:00 pm – 11:00 pm at the Augusta House, 152 Augusta Avenue. The event is public and there is no cover charge to attend. For more information, visit: Chiaroscuro Reading Series
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013