The 60-second trailer was officially unveiled at the ChiZine Publications (CZP) launch party for its six Fall 2010 titles held on Friday, October 22 in Toronto, Ontario. Shot in a single afternoon at Tony Burgess’s Stayner, Ontario house, the trailer was directed by noted Canadian filmmaker Bruce McDonald (Pontypool, The Collector, Hard Core Logo, The Tracey Fragments).
Burgess and McDonald collaborated before in bringing Burgess’s novel Pontypool Changes Everything to the screen as the 2008 film Pontypool. (McDonald confirmed on the day of the trailer shooting that Pontypools 2 and 3 are currently in development.) After the success of Pontypool, Savory looked to McDonald to bring to life what Burgess envisioned for the Cashtown trailer.
“I saw what Bruce had done on Pontypool and I wanted in,” Savory remarks, who was on hand for the filming. “Book trailers are a new phenomenon and everyone is experimenting with how to do them — from self-published authors to big publishing houses. Rather than try to talk about the plot or show the cover with a voice-over, Bruce and Tony nailed the feel of book. And having such a cinematic vision really takes it up a notch. Tony and Bruce have done something new that will build up excitement for the book, and raise the bar for book trailers. It’s bloody, it’s intriguing, and as always, Tony gave us a lot to work with.”
What’s more, Savory commented on how supportive the Canadian creative community is. “Watch the trailer and keep in mind: the director, author, actors, crew and publisher are all Canadian. I think for this to happen in Hollywood or with big names, it would take months of contracts and negotiations. That we could produce something as gorgeous as this speaks to the power of the creative industry in Canada.”
People Live Still in Cashtown Corners is a fictional retelling of a real murder case, told from the point of view of the culprit whose heinous acts make him feel more human than he’s ever felt. The photo inserts featuring real crime scene photos add an eerie depth to the novella.
In addition to People Live Still in Cashtown Corners, Tony Burgess is the author of The Hellmouths of Bewdley, Pontypool Changes Everything, Caesarea, and Fiction for Lovers.
- Limbus, Inc. Limited Edition Available For Preorder - February 14, 2013
- HWA 2012 Specialty Press Award Goes to Centipede Press - February 14, 2013
- Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas) - February 14, 2013
- The Vampires of Bloody Island - February 14, 2013
- Deep Cuts Anthology Honors Women In Horror - February 13, 2013
- The Demonologist: A Novel - February 13, 2013
- Dark Regions Press New Sponsor For Bram Stoker Awards® Weekend 2013 - February 13, 2013
- Chasm - February 13, 2013
- The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination - February 13, 2013
- Ghostman - February 12, 2013